Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I am running all three of my loops with one train running conventionally, and an additional train on two of the loops running in Bluetooth/Legacy/Lionchief 2.0/whatever you want to call it. It is fun, and there is movement and sound everywhere on the layout as these five move around it!! Then every once in a while, they all meet like this . . .

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Slide4.JPG
Slide5.JPG
Slide6.JPG
Slide7.JPG
Slide8.JPG
Slide9.JPG
Slide10.JPG

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
We must be on the same wavelength this week with five train meets. That’s an impressive lineup of trains and an impressive layout.

I don’t think I would run two trains on mainline 2 very often. When I run two trains on my 120’ long loops, If I don’t pay attention, they eventually end up nose to tail even with DCS speed set at the same SMPH on both locos. You must need to really pay attention to avoid a head on running two trains on your mainline 2.

·
Admin
45,451 Posts
Interesting Bob, my main loop is about 140 feet long, and I had two trains with Legacy running on it for about half an hour, they ran at almost the same speed. I did see the shorter consist creeping up about 2" for each lap around at about 25 scale MPH. I'll have to repeat the experiment with DCS engines. One train was 30 short tank cars, the 8,000 gallon size pulled by a Legacy U-Boat. The other was an Amtrak passenger train with eight SuperLiners pulled by my Legacy F40PH. I started them up and used the "all engines" ID of 99 to run them.

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I run one on conventional and one on LC+ on Mainline 1, 135 feet around, I can usually get them so they run close enough to the same speed - within a foot or two per loop, that they will run together for an hour or two before one gets close to the other - I can put fifty feet between two trains so at a one-foot per loop difference and a minute and a half per loop (about a scale 50 mph) it takes about an hour to 75 minutes.

If I run two trains of the same type in LC+ and set them at the same speed position they run closer than that. The three new Dockside switchers I have run almost in lockstep with one another. I have run all three, pulling short trains, on the Mainline 1. Spaced out, there was about 33 feet between each of them and I ran them well over two, maybe three hours.

I plan to do a test of LC+ control and how close I can get trains to run at the same speed. How close locos when they are the same type (I have three dockside switchers and three A5s and two SD60s to test this) when running together, versus how they are when mixed (I can run a dockside switcher, an A5, an ATSF 3751 Northern, an Atlantic, and aSD60 and a Camelback and a few others together and see . . . can I get them to run in lockstep? Will be a fun reserach project.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I’m currently running a GP38 and a 44 tonner on the upper loop. The 44 tonner is just a little bit faster with both set at 25 SMPH. If I set the 44 tonner at 24, it’s just a little bit slower than the GP38.

With three other loops in operation, I sometimes don’t pay attention to the spacing (especially if I have visitors) and they can end up nose to tail.

A few times I have run two trains on all four loops. With eight trains running and using one DCS hand held remote to control them, I have to concentrate to keep them all spaced so I don’t do that very often.

·
Registered
9,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"A few times I have run two trains on all four loops. With eight trains running and using one DCS hand held remote to control them, I have to concentrate to keep them all spaced so I don’t do that very often."

I got to that point with just six running, when I tried it, which is why is is just five this week.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hmmmm, I have to use cheap whiskey instead of vodka. :whistle:

And two trains total - one on each separate oval. To prevent engineer error, of course. :eek::p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts