Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a thread in which I can share my layout with anyone who would like to check in from time to time.

The first photo is a wide shot of what I have now. It's 9'x11' but I will add a section in the foreground to complete the mainlines. I also have plans to add a section to the part of the layout which is out of shot (bottom right) for an engine facility I think. IMG_1981.JPG

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a few pics of the beginnings of scenery.
It's my first crack at it but I'm not doing this to win any awards :laugh:. I know it's not great (I've seen great, in person and online - including some work shared on this forum!) but it's better than just foam :)

I don't expect to do much over the next few weeks until the weather is betters so I can build the next section outside. I'll keep posting
. IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:thumbsup:Looks good to me. You might want to paint the wall behind the bridge.
Thanks, Gramps! Not just for the obligatory compliment :D but for a suggestion. I hope others will offer suggestions, constructive criticism or just ideas for me to think about throughout this thread.

As for the walls in the room, I don't want to paint them. For this reason I left about 5" between the edge of the layout and the walls (that may be hard to see in the pics). My plan is this:

Attach a blank canvas to the layout...this is where a wonderful longtime friend's daughter comes in. She has agreed to mark the contours of the scenery on the canvas, take some pictures of the layout, paint the extended scene and I will re-attach the backdrop. She is so much more talented at drawing and painting than I am. I think this would be a great way to inject the work of others who are close to me on my layout.

I also plan to use some commercially available backdrops.

Now that backdrops and my plan for them are the current topic in this thread (I guess I just made that the case :laugh:) I would love to hear ideas and suggestions about that. Remember this is my first time doing this so I always welcome advice.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thanks, Gramps! Not just for the obligatory compliment :D but for a suggestion. I hope others will offer suggestions, constructive criticism or just ideas for me to think about throughout this thread.

As for the walls in the room, I don't want to paint them. For this reason I left about 5" between the edge of the layout and the walls (that may be hard to see in the pics). My plan is this:

Attach a blank canvas to the layout...this is where a wonderful longtime friend's daughter comes in. She has agreed to mark the contours of the scenery on the canvas, take some pictures of the layout, paint the extended scene and I will re-attach the backdrop. She is so much more talented at drawing and painting than I am. I think this would be a great way to inject the work of others who are close to me on my layout.

I also plan to use some commercially available backdrops.

Now that backdrops and my plan for them are the current topic in this thread (I guess I just made that the case :laugh:) I would love to hear ideas and suggestions about that. Remember this is my first time doing this so I always welcome advice.

Thanks all
Your friend's daughter will work out better than painting the walls. Good idea.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well...I hoped to resume work soon but another big snow storm and cold temps in Boston have derailed those plans (pun intended :)).

In an effort to keep the posts coming I figured I'd just throw up some pics of my current fleet. All CSX for now but I would like something else at some point. I live in Massachusetts so Providence & Worcester is an option since I want to model what is seen around my neck of the woods. Norfolk Southern is another choice. I could just get anything I like and call it leased power!

IMG_2024.JPG
IMG_2025.JPG

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still too cold and too much snow outside to build the next sections. I wish I had a gararge in which to work (actually that wouldn't work either because there would be a big model railroad in it :D).

Because I work outside I'm not going back until next week anyway so I don't want to spend a lot of money. I was looking at my layout and I remembered I had some plaster cloth left from the scenery on the north side of the room so I covered the incline risers on the south side and covered the transition from the roadbed down to the "ground".

I also took a turnout off the yard ladder and cut it in so both ends of the reverse loop are established. The reverse loop will be some kind of S-curve from the right side of the layout to the back (see my first pic in this thread).

Not much but a little progress....

IMG_2026.JPG

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
May, 2019.JPG

Not major progress but it's the first thing I've been able to do in months. I hope this summer will be more productive!

I only added the sections I needed for room to complete the mainlines. The train in the photo is on the A/D track which I'm currently using as a continuous loop.

Take care, everyone!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's been quite a while since I've had a chance to sit for a while and peruse the forum. It's also been a while since I've made any significant progress on my layout. I work a lot and have other obligations lately that fill up most of my time. I just don't have the time to work on the layout as much as I would like. I really hoped to make some progress this summer but it hasn't happened.

I plan to be at least semi retired in 20 years but I'm still hoping to get this thing going before then! :)

I started this thread to track progress but today I thought I'd just let you all know I'm still here and still have every intention of "finishing" my layout!

Be well, all

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Minor Progress and a question

I was able to get to the train store (best one is about 25 miles from me) yesterday and made a little progress on the layout. I installed a couple of turnouts creating a crossover so I'm getting closer to completing the double track mainline. I also bought a "Just Plug Light Hub" and power source to operate the light in a Woodland Scenics building I received this past XMas.

I now have a somewhat landscaped hill and a building. I occasionally run a vacuum over the hill to remove the dust but now that I have a building that will also constantly accumulate dust I'm wondering what methods you guys use to clean your layouts... What's the best way to keep rolling stock, scenery, buildings, etc... clean and dust free?

I expect to get disparate responses and am looking forward to them! Thanks, all

1 - 20 of 37 Posts