Model Train Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
maybe get one of those tiny vacuums for key boards like computer key boards. canned air works too but spreads dust every where as well. but it should dust off the buildings nicely.
maybe one of these:(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0787KXTFW?tag=modeltrainforumcon-20
Looks like blowing off the rolling stock and buildings then vacuuming up might work.

Thanks for the link, too. That should work well as long as it doesn't blow the buildings apart :laugh:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I use a soft artist brush in one hand, and a small vacuum hose held close to where I’m “sweeping”. I find it effective....keep up the good work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Unfortunately, I'm not posting to show progress :( . I seem to be in a holding pattern when it comes to continuing the build.

However, one thing has been puzzling me from time to time and it just occurred to ask you guys about it; one of my locos with crew radio chatter sounds will occasionally play a series of tones (sounds like what you would hear if dialing a phone) but no dialog.

If a visitor should ask me what that was...what the hell should I tell them? :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Does it sound like what you might hear from a fire/rescue station radio? As a former Motorola radio salesman, I can say that those may be a multi tone signalling sound. It was used (before digital systems) to trigger only the station that needed to answer a call.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Does it sound like what you might hear from a fire/rescue station radio? As a former Motorola radio salesman, I can say that those may be a multi tone signalling sound. It was used (before digital systems) to trigger only the station that needed to answer a call.
It does. Now that you mention it, it reminds me of the beeping on that old TV show "Emergency" when they got a call.

Is that something that would be heard over train crew chatter?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Over time I have seen many nice HO layouts on a 4’ x 8’piece of plywood. By adding 5’ to the wide and 3’ to the length you have more than doubled the total area. That allows you to create a very interesting layout capable of running trains of 15-20 cars and not have it look like a dog chasing its tail.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. You are off to a great start. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Over time I have seen many nice HO layouts on a 4’ x 8’piece of plywood. By adding 5’ to the wide and 3’ to the length you have more than doubled the total area. That allows you to create a very interesting layout capable of running trains of 15-20 cars and not have it look like a dog chasing its tail.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. You are off to a great start. :thumbsup:
Jim, thanks so much for the encouragement.

I wish I were posting progress more frequently but life has been tireless at throwing challenges at me for quite a while (but those details are for another forum) and I've done nothing on the layout for some time.

Hopefully I can get through everything and get back to the layout at some point :dunno:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I wish I were posting progress more frequently but life has been tireless at throwing challenges at me for quite a while (but those details are for another forum) and I've done nothing on the layout for some time.
Trust me, my friend: almost all of us can relate to this! ;)
Life can be going along great, and then it just goes bonkers for awhile!
But as Red Green used to say: "Remember, I'm pullin' for ya! We're all in this together!" :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
227 Posts
It does. Now that you mention it, it reminds me of the beeping on that old TV show "Emergency" when they got a call.

Is that something that would be heard over train crew chatter?

Thanks
Paul
Sorry for the delay in response. I don't get in here as often as I'd like.

Yes. Any where you have a large fleet, two or three tone signalling was handy to keep from hearing calls that don't pertain to you. Only calls with your correct sequence of tones would open up your receiver. You heard nothing if the call was for someone else. Today's radio systems handle it silently, and digitally. And quicker.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As some of you who read one of my last posts may have inferred, I have been going through some significant life changes. As a result I have dismantled the layout (such as it was).

I was able to salvage more than I expected and plan to build again. When the new project begins I will start a thread documenting that "progress" :) If a moderator thinks this thread should be deleted that is fine with me.

Thanks to all of you who helped me with the layout, I will take the info with me into the next project!

Hope to be posting about my layout again soon.

Now I really have the "spike driving blues"

Paul

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don’t let it get you down Paul. I think we’ve all been through it to one degree or another. You made some nice progress, and I’m sure learned some things that will help you when it’s time to build again. Best of luck, and we hope to see you building again soon.

Andy

·
Registered
499 Posts
As some of you who read one of my last posts may have inferred, I have been going through some significant life changes. As a result I have dismantled the layout (such as it was).

I was able to salvage more than I expected and plan to build again. When the new project begins I will start a thread documenting that "progress" :) If a moderator thinks this thread should be deleted that is fine with me.

Thanks to all of you who helped me with the layout, I will take the info with me into the next project!

Hope to be posting about my layout again soon.

Now I really have the "spike driving blues"

Paul
I went through exactly the same thing. I had a nice N scale layout going then went through some life changes. I salvaged what I could and was planning a new layout for after the dust settled. It turns out my current wife likes model railroading too and wanted to join me. With our slowly failing eye sight we decided to go up a size to HO. That meant all the N scale was sold off. Except for a couple of power packs we were totally back to square one. And progress has been extremely slow, but there is progress.

I wish you good fortune and a new empire of your dreams.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.

While I'm bummed about having to scrap the layout i'm trying to be excited about planning another. It's way too early to know for sure but I like to think I'll start the build by the spring.

Until then, plan plan plan!

·
Registered
924 Posts
ho cost average cost per square dootage?

On a ho model train layout, what is the average cost per square
feet on a layout?
Thank you in advance.
Regards,tr1

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
On a ho model train layout, what is the average cost per square
feet on a layout?
Thank you in advance.
Regards,tr1
That's an interesting question. I guess we would need a data set consisting of what some HOers have spent on his or her layout divided by the sq. footage of the layout. Then I think we would add the total spent by the total sq. footage to begin to find an average cost per sq. ft. (at least among some members here). I could be wrong about all of that :dunno:

Unfortunately I can't submit any data because while building my layout I decided it would be best to stop keeping track of how much money I spent :eek:

I wonder if any other members have kept track of how much you spent to build your layout.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts