Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away from the Model Train hobby for some years but now I decide to show my nephew what a model train is :) so I put my hands at work and started making a layout.
At first I used one "sample" from the Fleishmann catalog but it looked too simple for me so I expanded (complicated) it and now it looks like this:
(you can find some more pics here http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4545/ho/index.htm
It is still in "prototype" stage but I think the end layout won't be much different from this one.
Of course the "accessories" (remove some of the tracks electrical points, electrical connections, additional tunnel, houses, roads, ...) are still in project but they will show up in their time. Another thing is that I have to decide is where to "split" power, I mean, where to isolate tracks to have up to 3 different controllers/transformers.
Any thought? Is this a good layout? Should I change something before "nailing" it to the board?
Thanks.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
Mountains

Maybe I'm prejudice ( NH 's small mountains) but no mountains.:eek:
I noticed that you placed a circle in the center of the layout.You gave up two items. An area to model a town and a place to add some depth and elevation. An off set mountain would improve the flat table look. Wow! that small scale is something.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, too much tracks but the idea is to let them play around with the trains, they won't pay much attention to the "surroundings" :)
The problem with mountains and HO is that I need plenty of space to make the "ascending". To create the one that is already in place, I had to change a lot the layout.
I will add a tunnel on the left bottom corner, over the 2 tracks, and then will build houses inside that circle and in other "empty" spaces.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Im glad for them my first modeltrain was on a piece of plywood, with a circle section of track with tyco locomotives on it ,I still have the locomotives and cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts