Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I did some dry brush highlighting today. I had already airbrushed a brick wall for a structure with flat gray Tamiya paint. I dipped an old beat up "artist's type" (no real artist would ever use it) paintbrush in Tamiya's Hull Red paint with some of their "Flat Base" mixed in. This is my go to brick color. It comes out light dead flat red/pink color that is very similar to the color of real bricks. When I finished I cleaned three brushes since I had touched up some gray, and brown in addition to the brick red. Tamiya paint is an alcohol-based acrylic model paint that can be cleaned up with soap & water. I used plenty of soap and water, but while the other brushes cleaned right up, the red one stayed red forever. No amount of re-washing it would "get the red out." (maybe I should have used Visine ! 馃槃) I next tried cleaning with ammonia, which normally gets the last dregs of paint out of my brushes. It didn't help. Finally, I tried alcohol which is usually a good cleaner for this paint. Again, still red. Now this isn't a case of letting a brush sit overnight with paint in it, I cleaned the brushes 10 minutes after using them. In fact, when I actually have forgotten a brush overnight, the same cleaning methods work. I ended up marking this brush as my "dedicated red brush." I already have one brush that I use only for white paint. Any color that gets in the white messes it up. I have no idea why two brushes came clean as normal, and this one refused to.

Traction Fan :confused:

Registered
Some pigments stain, and there is no fix for it. You bristles are forever discolored. This usually happens s with nylon bristles.

The good news is that it's not ruined, nor is it a "forever red" brush. If the pigment doesn't come out in the solvents you're using to clean it, it's not going to come out on anything else, either.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Some pigments stain, and there is no fix for it. You bristles are forever discolored. This usually happens s with nylon bristles.

The good news is that it's not ruined, nor is it a "forever red" brush. If the pigment doesn't come out in the solvents you're using to clean it, it's not going to come out on anything else, either.
CTValley;

The reason I made it my "forever red brush" was that the color kept coming out on paper towels, even after repeated cleaning. it never stopped leaving a red stain on the towels. It doesn't really matter, it's just a cheap brush that wasn't in good shape to start with. I'll use it for drybrushing bricks, but not much else. If it fails altogether, I'll just throw it out.

Traction Fan 馃檪

1 - 3 of 3 Posts