Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Valley Steam; 1950s New York Central.
Over all dimensions were about 9.5 ft by 30 ft. 95% of the track had been installed, with only the service area yard tracks remaining incomplete. Scenery on the doorway side was about 40% done. It went through a bedroom closet into an adjacent bedroom. The turnouts slated to be in the closet were moved to the staging area over the work bench. 99% kato track, with 1 atlas diamond & 1 piece of flex used. The curved tracks at the “forested loop” followed a bend in a river. The mainline there “disappeared” behind a hill, kind of like an open top tunnel. You couldn’t see the train from the main aisle until it reached the town at the corner, but from the doorway, peeking over abundant view-blocking trees, you could see it… in case of derailment.

Track plan page 1 & 2.

and a vintage filtered video

Attachments

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was fully operational for about 4 or 5 years I’d say. It suffered in terms of switching. Continuous running wasn’t a problem. But trying to switch a furniture factor, slaughter house, and grain elevator were infuriating. I lost interest, stopped scenery work, and just ran long N scale trains on the main while weathering HO stuff for clients (mostly brick & mortar stores and Mike Chapmon’s former online business in TX)… and plotted the acquisition of a basement for HO or acreage for doing the OVR in G.
Essentially everything was salvaged, including the benchwork, overhead lighting, etc. I still have the lighting bus coiled up. The forested loop area was left intact but disconnected with a reciprocating saw. My dad wanted it. He also took the hill along the backdrop (which has a vertical back and is the “open top tunnel.”

Interesting side note though, my HO layout which preceded the above N… called The Michigan & Elsewhere, I ended up selling most of the structures on that at a local train show. A couple months ago I spotted 2 of them on a blog from some guy in Ontario, who bought them from a friend of his…. Probably the guy who bought them from me. I spotted a weathered N scale tanker that I weathered somewhere, I don’t think it was here though. Probably in some youtube vid. I always get a tickle when my work pops up unexpectedly online somewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts