Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be a thread about my garage, I will add little by little as I get it organized.
It might take a while. lol

In my garage I have junk all over ! :)
I have been organizing it for 20 years now, for some reason it won't stay cleaned.
Well anyway I have things hanging on my cabinets and walls, and have many other things waiting to add.
When the weather cools down a little (heat index yesterday 110* !) I want to paint and then hang up my stuff.

I am a trucker and one thing I look for items related with trucks, one I have been looking for a particular one for a while now, that one is a Great Dane dog emblem.
They attach to Great Dane trailers, they made a few different ones throughout the years. Metal ones go for a good buck, they made a plastic 10" x 8" emblem that I have been looking for. The cheapest I have seen most is 25 bucks plus shipping. Some are scraped and dinged up.
I found one on e bay starting bid 99 cents OK. I put it on my watch list. Just to check the size I messaged the seller asking how large was it. The was on a Saturday, he answered right away saying it was around 10" x 8". But he would measure it and get back to me. I figured what the heck it looked like new so I messaged him back asking if he can put a buy it now. When he answered I was going to offer 20 bucks.
He never answered. (n) :rolleyes:
So come the following Tuesday the auction was going to end so I bid the 99 cents. And added a top bid of $1.99, big spender I am. lol I went to bed.
The next morning I saw that I had won the auction, YEAH!, all right. 99 cents $4.80 to ship. Good deal sold American ! (y)
Still no message sent back to me.
I was going message after I won and say you fool I would have gave you more for it if you had answered me. But I didn't, I got a good deal why rub it in?
So I waited for the package.
I received it yesterday afternoon. Yippee hooray, I figured somehow he was going to back out of the deal.
So I opened the box and here is what I got,

Great shape.........good deal..........but wait what is this !

There were TWO in the package ! Both look like new too, just needs a bath.
That made my day, ha ha ha. 2 for 99 cents, without the $4.80 to ship.
Should I send one back? Ha Ha Ha

Garage thread to be continued...........at some point.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Never look a gift horse in the mouth!! What a great deal you got. Do you have a prominent spot in the garage in mind for them?

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Great deal on the grat danes Big Ed! It’s always nice to come away with a great deal like that!

Yeah, garages can get cluttered real fast, it seems you have to keep on it all the time, or it’ll get away on you......I dread the day I have to move......

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
My garage always was cluttered, 2 1/2 car garage, only room for 1 vehicle. So I bought a 10x12 wood shed from an Amish builder and he delivered to my property. Figured I could put all the clutter in the shed and free up some garage space. After 3 years the garage is back to one vehicle and the shed is full.

Bill

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
My garage always was cluttered, 2 1/2 car garage, only room for 1 vehicle. So I bought a 10x12 wood shed from an Amish builder and he delivered to my property. Figured I could put all the clutter in the shed and free up some garage space. After 3 years the garage is back to one vehicle and the shed is full.

Bill
OMG, that is so AMERICAN!!! ROFL

·
Registered
876 Posts
Three car garage - three cars in it. Adjoining is the 16 x 25 wood shop. More than one person has walked in the shop and said, "Couldn't work in here. Too organized." Can't help it. I'm a bit OCD. (When I empty the dishwasher all the silverware has to face the same way in the drawer.) When I'm done for the day every tool goes back in it's place, even if the project isn't done and I'll be right back at it tomorrow.

A friend's brother has the outline of the tool painted on the wall/pegboard where it's supposed to hang. They say there's a fine line between insanity and genius. He's probably a genius. Me...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sounds like most of us are infected with the Clutter Virus. The only known cure is provided by your local waste management pickup service.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Yeah, but you don’t want to dispose of stuff.....the minute you throw something out, you’ll need it....used to be my dad’s philosophy, and I inherited it..... :LOL:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never look a gift horse in the mouth!! What a great deal you got. Do you have a prominent spot in the garage in mind for them?
No, But I will find one. I will move things around too.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need a few bulldogs to go with the Great Danes.
I have a few bulldogs in my den one is a gold one. There are not too many bulldog emblems like the Great Danes out there for sale.
I do have a large Peterbilt emblem and a smaller one like the Great Danes same color, but they are metal. I bought a new one for my 1977 Pete but never put it on. Both are hanging in my garage now.
I was in the middle of answering this post and we got the straight line winds and a T storm coming through, whew nasty. More on the way
I will continue later.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great deal on the grat danes Big Ed! It’s always nice to come away with a great deal like that!

Yeah, garages can get cluttered real fast, it seems you have to keep on it all the time, or it’ll get away on you......I dread the day I have to move......
You talked about getting rid of things then needing something. I am the same way I don't like to toss anything.
The guy across the street cuts his grass low, right to the dirt. Well he messed up one mower by hitting something he bent the blade pretty good.
He parked it and bought another to cut his dirt. That one lasted one season and it wouldn't start the next season. He bought another machine.
Then he tossed the other 2 to the curb for the township truck to pickup along with other things he tossed.
I asked him why he was tossing them and he explained that the one ran but vibrated too bad and made funny noises. And the other (which looked like new) wouldn't start.
I took them both, cleaned the carb on the newer one and changed the oil it runs great.
The other from the blade being bent threw the flywheel out of time. A new blade and put it back in time I could have fixed that too.
My mower is 22 years old, I never did anything but change the oil and air filter and plug. The deck was rusting in spots so I fixed that up with some sheet metal and painted it up.
Front wheel drive so I did add new wheels, and the back ones finally gave up so I replaced them.

Well I had some brake rotors laying on the side of my garage from doing my pickup truck and the old (young) ladies SUV brakes all new parts all around. The rotors don't get you much money in the scrap yard unless you have a lot of them.

So I know an old guy scrapper I always call to get rid of scrap items. I called him up to come and pick them up, I wanted to just get rid of them. I figured I would give him the mower with the bent blade too. why not. Clean house.
I told my self, self........you got to let go of some of the crap you have. Self listened and tossed the mower.

Now, I have a Snapper ride on mower and my 1999 power wheel mower. And the mower I cleaned the carb on that runs and looks great. But that is a push mower, I am so used to the power mower I don't like the push mower.
So I cut my yard with my ride on and then go around the edges and bushes and the spots I can't get with the ride on. So 2 days after I tossed the junk mower my old mower wouldn't start.
Coil gave up, I could have took the coil off the junk one and used it. :rolleyes:

2 days after I tossed it ! Now I have to buy a new one!
Ed's world, and now I am back to not wanting to get rid of anything. :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always said that if I had a garage I’d always be able to get a car or 2 in it. I have a 4 car garage and can get 4 cars in it. In the winter when I put the garden tractor in the shed I can get 5 cars in it.
When I retired from UPS they offered me the bulldog off my Mack tractor but I didn’t want it.
Why didn't you want it?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those Great Danes are great!

Speaking of garage clutter, I don't have a garage or basement but i bet my 3 story porch looks like many of your garages.
A car on the first story porch? :)

First thing "she" said when we moved into the house was OH goody I can park my car in a garage now.
I burst that bubble right away. Ha Ha Ha.
I told her the garage and basement is MINE, you can have the rest. I did grab another room for a den.
And I did give her a nice size laundry room I did, nice guy I am. :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts