Model Train Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Let's see here. Your room for the Den is meant for your relaxing, a place to keep your personal goodies, A guy's private place. Her laundry room is a work room designed to wash & dry your clothes as well as her clothes and the rest of the family's clothes. The wife & I have a very similar arrangement. She has her Dream Kitchen & laundry room/pantry. She guards them feverishly. I am not allowed to touch her appliances unless of course they need repair. My garages are full of tools, finished & unfinished automotive projects. So I guess that the garages could be considered work areas as well.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I’m not really sentimental so I don’t save a lot of things. They offered it to me for my retirement and also to recognize 1000000 miles safe driving.
What color was the one on your rig?
I like them just because I like them, none of mine have sentimental feelings.
The big Peterbilt emblem I have I bought for my old cab over on the front the other had a chip in it and one of the side emblems was scraped so I bought the smaller one.
I never put them on, so on my wall they went.
You have a 5 car garage? Wow, cool.
You have nothing in it?
Hanging on the wall?
Nothing?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
What color was the one on your rig?
I like them just because I like them, none of mine have sentimental feelings.
The big Peterbilt emblem I have I bought for my old cab over on the front the other had a chip in it and one of the side emblems was scraped so I bought the smaller one.
I never put them on, so on my wall they went.
You have a 5 car garage? Wow, cool.
You have nothing in it?
Hanging on the wall?
Nothing?
3 cars, 72" cut commercial Zero turn John Deere. Numerous posters on the walls & a few license plates.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Was it the gold one or silver? The Gold dogs signified that the unit was all Mack, motor, drive train, rears.
I have both but like the shiny chrome ones the better. I started driving on the road with a 1962 Mack cherry picker. A cabover without a sleeper but it had a 3 foot shelf like space behind the cab. 10 speed duplex, 2 sticks. From then on it was Petes, K whoppers and Internationals, never a Mack again.
You being where you are, we probably passed on the road somewhere back then. I used to run Bean town or up north out of Jersey almost everyday.
I guess you had a steady run most of the time? Or did you run across Pa? Even still we probably passed somewhere at some point I did get around.
Remember the tolls booths on 95? LOL What were they, 3 or 4 at 10 cents a piece, then the whopping 25 cents up near New Haven? I remember the GW bridge at $3.50 for the toll for 18 wheels, what is it now $125?
The bridge that fell in the river up in CT? I left late that day, who knows I could have been in that river. I had to run up 84 that day.
That little Mack dog would have not took up that much room, you should have grabbed one.........free is good.
Mounted on the wall, every time you looked at it would have brought back memories. :)
My new T shirt. (That is not me)
:D

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Mine was silver. One of the runs I did was starting @ 2100 and going to Parsippany and the down to the Meadowlands and coming back in the morning. As long as I got over the GW bridge by 0500 I was ok.
My neck of the woods.

The GW was built in the late 20's. Eight lanes each way: 4 on the upper deck, 4 on the lower. Any traffic jams on the bridge are due to the roadways that connect on either side of the bridge, not the bridge itself. The lower deck was originally designed for railroads. That never materialized by the time the bridge was completed. It carries more vehicles per year than any other bridge in the US. I've crossed it many times travelling from NJ to Manhattan for graduate school.

I doubt the protesters can topple it :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have seen many accidents on the bridge itself.
And if not an accident they constantly take 2 lanes down to work on it.
And that is at 2 am in the morning when you should be able to breeze right over the bridge.
But that is better then working on it during the day time.
And then in the winter you have the problem with the ice falling from the cables and the overhead metal.
Then you have the jumpers who close it down.
There have been times coming back from the north the last 5 miles took 4 hours to get to the bridge because of an accident on it.
Me? I used to run north over the bridge and on the return trip run west to cross the Hudson at the Newburgh bridge or the Tappen Zee.
NEVER back down the cross Bronx and over the bridge.
The Tappen Zee was a pot luck, you never could tell what was going to happen going that way.
The Newburgh was OK, 95% of the time.

If something happens to the GW bridge and it needed to be shutdown, it would sure s crew up the traffic.
It would be a nightmare for many miles all around.

·
Admin
43,791 Posts
Most of the time I go up to the Tappen Zee, I rarely run into major issues there. Occasionally, there's traffic, but nothing like the GW. I also avoid I95 up that way as well, I don't recall ever being on I95 when it wasn't under construction somewhere between NYC and Boston!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Most of the time I go up to the Tappen Zee, I rarely run into major issues there. ...
Have you been on the new "Mario Cuomo" bridge? It replaced the Tappan Zee. I'm a little upset that: (a) He named after his father but happens to have the same name; and (b) We lost another piece of American history. The Tappan Zee was named after the Tappan Indian tribe from that area. I'm pretty sure they had nothing to do with the Confederacy.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Have you been on the new "Mario Cuomo" bridge? It replaced the Tappan Zee. I'm a little upset that: (a) He named after his father but happens to have the same name; and (b) We lost another piece of American history. The Tappan Zee was named after the Tappan Indian tribe from that area. I'm pretty sure they had nothing to do with the Confederacy.
I feel the same way about the name, that is why I didn't use Cuomo in my reply.
I traveled the old span while the new one was going up. Saw it in different stages, they built it pretty quick !
They already have a problem with the walkways/bicycle path.
There is not enough space for pedestrians and the bikes. lol
I wonder if they charge a toll for the walkers and bikes
They should as there is a traffic jam now on the walkways.

The old span was being undermined by the Hudson for years and they could not remedy the problem.
That bridge was listed up near the top of the list of having a catastrophic collapse.
Plus from the increase in traffic they needed a new one.
The only problem now is that going west bound you get to the point where it turns into 3 lanes it gets jammed up there quick.
They need to make the roads larger now too.
The new bridge is nice and smooth now to ride on.
The old one was like riding a bucking bronco, at least on 18 wheels it was.

·
Admin
43,791 Posts
Yep, but I still call it by it's proper name. ;) A lot of roads and other landmarks in that part of NY are Indian names.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts