Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Hobo for Life
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pics of my latest lot of junk that I overpaid for! I took a shot on the nj central fm. I didn't have good pics but decided to take the gamble any way. I got burned. Such is life, on the bright side all the engines seem to power up and there e units cycle. Bad news is I will need some help getting the FM switcher back on the rails! The 671 looks to be in nice shape. The 2026 is missing the front end. I'll start cleaning the eeasiest stuff first. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
460 Posts
"Your sure going to end up with a nice group of stuff when you finished cleaning. The 671 is one of my favorite engines. I am going to be real interested in how you deal with that battery compartment!
Randy

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,235 Posts
First thing to do is get that battery out, then wash rub brush with an old toothbrush or some thing to get all the corrosion off. Use baking soda.
That is an old battery I think, from way back when.
What a shame!

From what I see the body doesn't look too bad?
The frame should clean up.

Do you think it will run? Did you put power to it real quick?

I will go back and look but then got to hit the sack.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,235 Posts
Does the whole battery compartment drop down with the four screws?
Maybe they have reproductions for sale?
See the four screws?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,235 Posts
I hate going back and forth clicking to see pictures, I will load them here for me to look at in the future. ;)

20130409_174944.jpg

20130409_175032.jpg

20130409_175356.jpg

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,235 Posts
The motors look good and the e-unit looks good.
I can't really see the wheels.
What a shame some dope left the battery in for 50 years! :thumbsdown:

I will give you $50 bucks for it? :p;);)

·
Hobo for Life
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, both motors run and the e unit cycles. I started to remove the battery. Needless to say it did not come out in one peice. The bottom is riveted and I will try to save it for now! (as a back up I will look for a replacement. I took off the back truck and the wheels look good the grease is done in. I will break down the rest tommorow. Right now I have the battery compartment soaking in wd-40. Tomorrow I will hopefully get the rest off with the dremeal. I need some evaporust for the frame where the battery leaked, then I will try a neutralizing agent??? Never seen a battery like this.

·
Admin
45,001 Posts
Evapo-Rust requires you to submerge the item for a few hours. I'd strip the chassis, then knock the loose rust off, clean it with some solvent to get grease, etc. off, and dunk it in the Evapo-Rust. I suspect you'll want to shoot a couple coats of paint on it after derusting.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
That was a carbon zinc battery. They were very common before the alkaline batteries came out. You see the carbon rod lying next to the loco. The outside case of the battery was zinc, and it was consumed as the battery discharged. The Eveready batteries had a steel case on the outside which was supposed to contain the corrosion and protect your flashlight or whatever. You can see how well that idea worked out.

Since the battery holder is riveted to the frame, and you probably don't want to put it in Evapo-Rust because it is die cast zinc and may dissolve in the Evapo-Rust, you could either drill out the rivets or figure out some other way to get rid of the rust and corrosion.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
There is a lot of good stuff here. The Jersey Central FM is one of the rarer more valuable PW collectibles. Yours has some battery damage but you can repair this. It's the JC shell that is valuable and yours looks to be in great shape. I would use original instead of repro parts if at all possible. The frame can be swapped out with another FM. Look for a junker FM on eBay with a good frame and take parts from that. The JC is one of those valuable pieces you would not want to compromise by having anything unoriginal on it.

How much did you pay to think you paid too much?

·
Hobo for Life
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, I broke down the frame and cleaned up the trucks. I removed most of the battery compartment damage with a grinding wheel ( hope the evaporust dies the rest). The 671 got a servoguy special, quick oil job and wheels cleaned. It might need some new springs front and back but for the most part it runs smoothly. It is in pretty nice shape no dings or scratches.
Areizman, I thought of that also but am determined to give it a go as is. But I think a new frame is a good back up plan. I will try and clean up the horn relay, e unit when the frame is done. Throw out a number on what you think the lot is worth, and I'll most likely have paid way over that. I also got some track, a gate man, a marx motor. And some other junk. Thanks for everyone's help! Man those batteries can reek some havoc! I'll have to see if I can date the battery just for kicks. I remember buying those batteries at two guys department store, I think they went out of business 30+ years ago!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You need to take the shell off of the 671 to lube it. If it is like a 736, it is only 3 screws. There are motor bearings and a worm gear that need lube and you can't lube them without taking the shell off. Diesels and worm drive steamers need some disassembly to properly lube them. Steamers with spur gear drives can be lubed without disassembly.

·
Hobo for Life
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will take the shell off soon to do it properly, but as is it looks clean and turns freely. The brush plate is nice and shiny too. This engine looks like it was garage kept. It needs a bulb, so when I open it up it will get the full service.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts