Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a photo of my layout in progress. There is a bit of VW theme going on here. It has no historical accuracy and even mixes 1/87 and 1/72 and 1/64 scales. :eek: As you can see it is heavy on slot car track as well - 41 feet of it in a narrow layout, and 16.5 feet of power-loc for the trains. It is for my grandkids and I to have fun. I am not sure where to take it from here - any suggestions? Keep in mind it will be used by five 2 to 8 year olds and one 50+ kid with no artistic ability! :eek:

Also - The Triang-Hornby Canadian National train in the foreground is for sale or trade (with track & accessories) - I have posted an ad in the For Sale or Trade forum. I hope it is ok to mention it in this forum?

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
Looks like a blast to me too....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I used to have a race track.:thumbsup:
I still have pieces of it somewhere, the cars too.:laugh:

Could you expand the base some and make it a little larger?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
Can we get our trains to go around a 45-degree banked turn like that?!? :rolleyes:

Only if they are three rail Lionel with magnatraction, With a ZW Transformer.:laugh:
And plenty of guard rail.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
big ed - The layout used to be my wife's sewing/quilting table and it is 7' X 3.5 ft. It took a lot of head scratching to get all that track on there. I might put a 9' X 5' top on it if I can find one. Then I could add some switches and expand the train track. There would also be room to incorporate a slot car/train crossing (which is readily available), with flashing lights and drop bars, forcing the race cars to wait for the train!

tjcruiser - Good eye on the banked curves - makes for a very fast track! There are actually trains that have slot car bottoms that run on regular slot car track, most of which was simply painted to look like train tracks.

Notice I figured out how to put a pic in directly - artistic I ain't but nerdy I is! And thanks for not flaming me for not having a nicely modeled layout.

Edit: I also plan to modify some old Aurora steering wheels controllers so that you can set any fixed speed for one or both slot cars - race against the other car or just watch them go around . . and around . .

[

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
big ed - The layout used to be my wife's sewing/quilting table and it is 7' X 3.5 ft. It took a lot of head scratching to get all that track on there. I might put a 9' X 5' top on it if I can find one. Then I could add some switches and expand the train track. There would also be room to incorporate a slot car/train crossing (which is readily available), with flashing lights and drop bars, forcing the race cars to wait for the train!

tjcruiser - Good eye on the banked curves - makes for a very fast track! There are actually trains that have slot car bottoms that run on regular slot car track, most of which was simply painted to look like train tracks.

Notice I figured out how to put a pic in directly - artistic I ain't but nerdy I is! And thanks for not flaming me for not having a nicely modeled layout.

[
Why not a 9'x5' bottom and the 7'x3.5 on the top?
Wouldn't the bigger base be better?:confused:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
There are actually trains that have slot car bottoms that run on regular slot car track, most of which was simply painted to look like train tracks.

Cool, I wonder if you could take some N scale RR shells and incorporate them onto the race car body?:thumbsup::D

Do the cars hold to the track now? Or are there a lot of "derailments" around that curve?

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Gordo,

Somewhere around here on the Forum, T-Man (I think) and I were swapping "remember that" stories about old (late '50's, early '60's) HO slot cars, including the early ones with crude electromagnet vibrator-type motors.

I had a neat Aurora set as a kid ... complete with steering-wheel controllers. :thumbsup: Good fun!

TJ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
big ed - Very few 'derailments' on the banked curves, you can pretty much go flat out. But most of my cars have traction magnets that are strong enough to hold a car on the track upside-down! I have a few older ones with no traction magnets and they are actually a lot more realistic, drifting around the corners and even doing 360's. Both types are fun in their own way, the non-magnet cars are more challenging and require a lot of finesse to stay on the track. Having the train going around the track really messes with your concentration, at least at my age. I will post a video in a few days that shows everything running at the same time and you will see how fast the cars are - makes me dizzy! Oops - I don't want to turn this into a slot car forum - should be ok as long as the train is running at the same time . . .

Edit: What is the bottom open area dimesions of an n-scale shell? I think it could work! I build VW slot cars from custom molded resin bodies that I purchase online. Wouldn't that be a little strange to see a small locomotive going around the track at 500 scale mph?! I actually have a fully functional radar gun that reads 1/64 scale speeds as well and should be pretty close for 'ho' or 'n' scalesl.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
big ed - Very few 'derailments' on the banked curves, you can pretty much go flat out. But most of my cars have traction magnets that are strong enough to hold a car on the track upside-down! I have a few older ones with no traction magnets and they are actually a lot more realistic, drifting around the corners and even doing 360's. Both types are fun in their own way, the non-magnet cars are more challenging and require a lot of finesse to stay on the track. Having the train going around the track really messes with your concentration, at least at my age. I will post a video in a few days that shows everything running at the same time and you will see how fast the cars are - makes me dizzy! Oops - I don't want to turn this into a slot car forum - should be ok as long as the train is running at the same time . . .

Yes, keep the HO running and it will be legal to keep on posting the thread here.
Can't wait for the video, make sure the trains are running too.

Goodnight, Ed's gone...................poof!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts