Model Train Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Different resin products produce different results. I don't know about the specific Hobby Lobby product you used, but Enviro-Tex dries up rock hard, while Magic Water does not and retains a bit of resiliency. When I pour the river on my layout, I will be using Magic Water.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Here is take two. Actually not bad on the silicon. I used a craft stick to pull it up for the texture. It dried more white than I expected (it says clear), but I have decided if that's a good or bad thing. The blue/green did better with release agent, but thin areas are still brittle. It might work behind the silicon for depth. Oddly, the clear jumped it's dam and puddled under the craft stick I had laying out. Luckily I turned to foil up on the edges just in case or i would have had a mess on the counter top!

I think I'll try the magic water product, but I'm keeping this for now. One concern is matching the rest of the water. I think after pouring the pond I can use a bit if silicon to make done water splashes around where the fall hits the water (very light). But blending the stream to the silicon fall looks more challenging. Maybe more if the same technique to mimic roiling water?

My dad got me a subscription to model railroad academy, so I'm going to poke around there for tools as well. Anyone used that site? Dad had some O Guage as a kid and I think always wanted to do a layout again, so he send to be living vicariously through me... If course, I'm living vicariously through my own son!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

61 - 63 of 63 Posts