Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
I remember the painting project for these engines. Still look good.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
You can’t like these locos TOO much. You left “favorite” out of the title for this week’s thread.

I have one LC+. I got a Camelback a few years back at a great price. Your assessment is spot on. A very dependable loco, simple to operate and plays nice on with my DCS layout.

·
Admin
43,473 Posts
It'll be interesting to see where the LC+ line goes with LC+ 2.0. I have the sense that the changes are not stopping with that iteration. :)

FWIW, I bought the LC+ Camelback for the reason it was one of the few scale models, and I wanted to have at least one representative example of LC+ in the stable.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I had a Boston & Maine GP7 that I got rid of because it stopped running and after I got it fixed it stopped running again. There is a Camel Back in the future.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can’t like these locos TOO much. You left “favorite” out of the title for this week’s thread.

I have one LC+. I got a Camelback a few years back at a great price. Your assessment is spot on. A very dependable loco, simple to operate and plays nice on with my DCS layout.
That was deliberate, by the way. They are good but not favorites.

C

·
0 Posts
I have 5 LC+ locomotives. The Camelback and GP38 are scale size while the Hudson, Mikado and Berkshire aren't. Scale size isn't important to me. I am a toy train guy rather than a scale model railroader. I have done the scale model thing in HO and N and IMHO toy trains are just more fun. Even though scale size isn't important to me I would like more details like Railking Imperial locomotives have.

I prefer LC+ to my Railking PS3 locomotives because of the reasons you list above, Lee. I love the simplicity and reliability of LC+. I love these locos, they are my favorites, and I plan to buy the NYC FT AA set when it is released later this year.

My first LC+, NYC Hudson, acquired late in 2014.

1 January 3, 2018.jpg

PRR Mikado purchased late 2014 or early 2015.

3 January 3, 2018.jpg

Erie Camelback, purchased January 2016.

20181023_162521.jpg

NKP Berkshire bought early in 2018.

NKP Berkshire.jpg

FEC GP38, purchased in December 2018.

20190107_200819.jpg

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have 4 Lionchief + engines. Erie Camelback, Reading & Northern 425, Reading GP7, and Santa Fe ABA Fts, all run great. Never had a problem. I do like them and as LEE stated you can run them with other engines on the same track. I do like that.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Five of those came from the same early batch and may have been an anomoly. Although it is too late to check now (they are in the parts bin) I'm pretty sure it was magnitraction that was too strong and magnetized up int eh gears and motor, and pulled pieces of whatever up into the innards and jammed.

·
Admin
43,473 Posts
I wonder if my industrial strength demagnetizer would have have killed the magnitraction and allowed stuff to be released. :)

I've had one just like this for years, I use it to demagnetize tools when necessary, works great. I also used it to demagnetize my track, just run it along energized.

RS Demagnitizer.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts