Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an MTH RailKing, 30-1604-1 Imperial Northern 4-8-4. I put it on a test track about a week ago, using a conventional Lionel transformer and it ran great, it lit up, I got some of the sounds, etc. I then took it off the track, uncoupled the tender and set it aside. Today, I put it back on the same test track, same transformer and absolutely NOTHING! No lights, no sound, no movement, it is absolutely DEAD!

I have done the obvious, checked all connections, made sure the loco/tender connection was snapped together properly, still nothing. I put an old Lionel loco on the test track and it runs fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I know virtually nothing about these late model trains and any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I have a few RK steamers from the same time frame. The same northern as your ATSF painted in Reading iron horse colors (30-1565-1) has never given me a problem. A PRR Mountain (30-1580-1) has given me more problems than any other engine.

Take a close look at the drawbar connection at the cab end. My mountain had the same symptoms when the drawbar was not completely seated. It was only about 1/32” from being fully seated, but that was enough. On some of these steamers, the wiring to the cab plug is too tight and as it goes around curves, it can work the connection loose. I also had a drawbar for my mountain that had a ding at the cab end which made for a bad connection.

One pointer for any of the MTH PS3 steamers is to insulate the exposed contacts on the ends of the drawbar. They come with a plastic insulator on the cab end, but it can rotate out of position. If the exposed contacts touch the trailing truck, it fries the board. I use liquid tape. GRJ uses JB Weld.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried everything and I can't get it to work. SOOOOOO, I will put it up in a "NO RESERVE" auction on eBay, starting tomorrow at 6pm. Bidding starts at $9.95! Hope one of you guys get's a bargain.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Wow, don’t be so quick to give up!

There are many people here who can help you. The more you work on it, the more people will help.

Try checking the inside of the tender for loose wires or boards. Look for any damaged areas to see if something shorted out.

I presume you are running in conventional mode. Maybe set up a separate test track, making sure it is set up properly.

Like John mentioned, check the various switches to make sure they are properly positioned.

Finally, you can do a reset…flow these instructions…

Tom

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, pulled the tender body off, everything looks connected.
Unlike most folks here, I don't care for this newer stuff. The items that hold a real interest to me were last made around 1960. That said, I am a merchant at heart and I am always buying and selling items. This loco came to me out of an estate collection I purchased. So, rather than fool with something I know little about and really don't care to deal with, I'm going to send this beautiful loco on down the auction line. It's time for it to find a new home with someone who will get her running. $9.95 starting bid and NO RESERVE! It's going to be a hoot!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
That is an attractive locomotive. I have been looking for a scale version of this engine. I hope you do well with the auction. Who knows, I may try for it. Me and a hundred other people! Lol

Tom

·
Registered
169 Posts
That is an attractive locomotive. I have been looking for a scale version of this engine. I hope you do well with the auction. Who knows, I may try for it. Me and a hundred other people! Lol

Tom
Get the Premier version if you have wide curves. It's worth it. The model is over 31" long and imposing. I've got one and I've been looking for a PS1 version on the cheap to convert to PS3 so I can have a 2nd.

20210530_140405.jpg

·
Admin
45,484 Posts
I'm currently waiting until the prices of MTH stuff return to sanity before considering any more PS/1 purchases for upgrades. I used to buy scale stuff like this for $300-350. I was looking at the MTH Premier PS/1 PRR T1 Duplex models on eBay and they're $900-$1200 now! That's positively insane, and I'm out of that game for now!

I did just buy the Lionel scale T1 Duplex for $810, and it already has command, I just have to add the cruise module. This one will also get a sound upgrade, I have the RailSounds 6 board and associated motherboard for just this purpose, so I can retain the wireless drawbar and have high quality sounds. I have the Legacy back-EMF motor driver board, and with the Legacy R4LC and smoke regulator, I'll basically have a Legacy T-1 Duplex. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm currently waiting until the prices of MTH stuff return to sanity before considering any more PS/1 purchases for upgrades. I used to buy scale stuff like this for $300-350. I was looking at the MTH Premier PS/1 PRR T1 Duplex models on eBay and they're $900-$1200 now! That's positively insane, and I'm out of that game for now!

I did just buy the Lionel scale T1 Duplex for $810, and it already has command, I just have to add the cruise module. This one will also get a sound upgrade, I have the RailSounds 6 board and associated motherboard for just this purpose, so I can retain the wireless drawbar and have high quality sounds. I have the Legacy back-EMF motor driver board, and with the Legacy R4LC and smoke regulator, I'll basically have a Legacy T-1 Duplex. :)
Yeah me as well. Ebay prices are insane. Scale PS1 steam is selling for $500+. I'm waiting for train shows to return around here (August) in the hopes of scoring a PS1 ATSF Northern in the $300-350 range. I've already got spare parts to add the later details my PS3 version has, along with a PS3 upgrade kit. No rush, I can wait for a deal.

I actually have a Premier ATSF Northern boiler, cab, chassis, and complete tender as parts. I just need the pilot truck, trailing truck, cylinders, crossheads, valve hanger, and all the rods to complete it. If MTH would get a parts site together I could order all that stuff and just assemble my collection of parts into a complete locomotive....

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Get the Premier version if you have wide curves. It's worth it. The model is over 31" long and imposing. I've got one and I've been looking for a PS1 version on the cheap to convert to PS3 so I can have a 2nd.

View attachment 560832
At this point in time, I am “curveless” as I haven’t built my layout yet! I have many large, scale engines, so when the time comes, big curves will be a must. 31” sounds pretty intimidating but I do have a Erie Triplex I hope to run someday!

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts