Model Train Forum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

Registered
Ohio Central Systems
I see a huge problem. I can't believe I missed it until now.

I think you meant to type "all sides are accessible..." :LOL::ROFLMAO:馃:p

But seriously... I like it. Your yard is much more "yard like." I like that you have a passing siding to the far left. Although... it may look visually more appealing if that passing siding was a bit longer, so it doesn't look like another "piece of the yard" but on the other side of the main line.

Registered
Ohio Central Systems
I see a huge problem. I can't believe I missed it until now.

I think you meant to type "all sides are accessible..." :LOL::ROFLMAO:馃:p

But seriously... I like it. Your yard is much more "yard like." I like that you have a passing siding to the far left. Although... it may look visually more appealing if that passing siding was a bit longer, so it doesn't look like another "piece of the yard" but on the other side of the main line. Perhaps use curved turnouts and tie the passing siding into the apex of the curves rather than the same place the yard area starts?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I think you meant to type "all sides are accessible..." 馃
Damn, it sticks out like a sorer thumb now!
I didn't catch this either 馃ぃ
Do you know how many times that I sat in front of the computer staring at this layout plan? Lol
I will make this change asap 馃槈

Although... it may look visually more appealing if that passing siding was a bit longer, so it doesn't look like another "piece of the yard" but on the other side of the main line. Perhaps use curved turnouts and tie the passing siding into the apex of the curves rather than the same place the yard area starts?
I did think about this Jeff. I was trying to create the passing siding on the same side as the yard, to the right of the mainline.
But it looked to congested.
So I opted to put it where it is.
Although starting the passing siding at the top of the apex curve is a great idea!

Were you suggesting to leave it on the outside or move it to the right of the mainline, on the inside?

SideTrack Hobo

Registered
Ohio Central Systems
I think it's fine on the outside, but would look a lot better if it was longer. As it is, it looks like the mainline cuts through a yard, which isn't visually appealing, at least not to me. But it's your railroad, your rules!

I really like the way this has evolved, and I have to give you kudos for being receptive to, and actually thankful for, the advice people have given. You'd be surprised at the number of people who are either reluctant, or just don't care.

Have fun!

Registered
Ohio Central Systems
By the way, I like your signature. Socrates said something to the effect of "true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing." Albert Einstein once said something like "The more I learn the more I realize how little I know."

Registered
What would you suggest is a good switcher engine for yard work, declassification and classification of trains?

All the curves on the main line have minumum radius of 18". Some of the curves are as much as 24".

In the yards, there is a minimum radius of 12", with some being 14".

Every turnout on the mainline and in both yards are Peco code 80 stream line electrofrog large radius turnouts.
The Wye is a Peco electrofrog medium radius.

Thank you Traction Fan,
SideTrack Hobo
SideTrack Hobo;

For a diesel switcher, a Kato RS -3 (or the earlier RS-1 or RS-2) Lifelike (of all people?! ) make an excellent slow crawling SW-something switcher. A Kato GP- 7 or GP-9 would be good too. All have excellent slow-speed performance, which is vital for a switcher.

For a steam switcher, you would have to look at current-production Bachmann, (NOT old, or old designs still sold, Bachmann JUNK minimum maintainable speed about 50 mph!)
or maybe BLI?

Sadly, Kato makes only two US steam locomotives that I know of, and they are both road locomotives, and sorta too big for switchers. A 2-8-2 Mikado maybe? It might have ended its career switching a yard. A 4-8-4 Northern ! Are you kidding? That's huge! and that, unfortunately, is the entire Kato steam offering. o_O:confused:

Traction Fan 馃檪

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I think it's fine on the outside, but would look a lot better if it was longer. As it is, it looks like the mainline cuts through a yard, which isn't visually appealing, at least not to me. But it's your railroad, your rules!
I think that your right! The more that I look at it the more I want to modify it 馃槈
I will see what I can do with it later this evening.
Be looking for an updated post in the very near future 馃槃

I really like the way this has evolved, and I have to give you kudos for being receptive to, and actually thankful for, the advice people have given. You'd be surprised at the number of people who are either reluctant, or just don't care.
Not to sound redundant or even superficial, but thank you for your kind words Jeff! 馃檪
It means a lot!

SideTrack Hobo

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
For a diesel switcher, a Kato RS -3 (or the earlier RS-1 or RS-2) Lifelike(of all people?! ) make an excellent slow crawling SW-something switcher. A Kato GP- 7 or GP-9 would be good too. All have excellent slow-speed performance, which is vital for a switcher.
For a steam switcher, you would have to look at current production Bachmann, (NOT old Bachmann JUNK )or maybe BLI? Sadly, Kato makes very few US steam locomotives and the few they have are road locomotives, and sorta too big for switchers. A 2-8-2 Mikado maybe? A 4-8-4 Northern! are you kidding? that's huge! and that is the entire Kato steam offering. 锟硷考
Thank you so much TractionFan.
I will definitely look into the Kato RS engines and the GP 7 or 9!
I really like the fact that these are slower switching engines.

By the way, how do you like the newest draft of my layout?
I've certainly regained a lot of negative space for towns and scenery as @All-Scale Railfan mentioned in his post 馃槈

Please let me know, I'm interested to see what you think!

Thanks again!
SideTrack Hobo

Registered
Well, here is the layout plan including the newly redeveloped main yard on the left side. I redesigned the main yard which is now the East Yard.
I also moved some of the industries around and now there is plenty of room for an industrial park on the lower left side.
There is also plenty more room now for open green spaces for scenery. I think this will separate the towns more with hills and forest in-between them.
I really do like the flow of this draft much better and it was made possible with the help of all of you who have made great suggestions.

Your knowledge has been a tremendous help to me.
Let me know what you fine folks think.

Thanks again,
SideTrack Hobo

View attachment 597283

锟硷考
SideTrack Hobo;

You could lengthen your passing siding by using an old trick that I, and many others, did back when we used Atlas Snap Switches because we didn't know any better yet.
The Peco small, medium, and large normal turnouts actually do have a gentle curve in one of their routes. (The Atlas Snap Switch had a far from gentle curve! )
You can usually incorporate the curved route into one of your mainline curves, or two, since you have mainline curves at both the top & bottom ends of your passing siding. The curved route fits into the bigger curve, and the straight route juts out from it. This straight route feeds into a longer version of your passing siding. It should add a few car lengths of track to the siding. If for some reason this doesn't work out with conventional turnouts, remember that Peco also makes curved turnouts, with both routes curved.

Good Luck;

Traction Fan 馃檪

Registered
Thank you so much TractionFan.
I will definitely look into the Kato RS engines and the GP 7 or 9!
I really like the fact that these are slower switching engines.

By the way, how do you like the newest draft of my layout?
I've certainly regained a lot of negative space for towns and scenery as @All-Scale Railfan mentioned in his post 馃槈

Please let me know, I'm interested to see what you think!

Thanks again!
SideTrack Hobo
SideTrack Hobo;

Yes, I like your latest plan. Now its time to rob a few banks to raise the necessary funding, and start building your N-scale empire! 馃槃

By the way, I have some more candidates for diesel switchers.

First that Lifelike "SW-something" I mentioned before is a SW-9/1200 (This same basic prototype switcher locomotive was upgraded many times and the designations changed when a new prime mover was installed or other major improvements were made. So it can be used for any loco in the long series between an SW-9 and an SW-1200) This little model really crawls.
Lifelike is an odd brand. All their early stuff, and some of their new stuff too, is pretty bad. However, they have made some really good running and good looking locomotives too. The really good ones rival Kato, in both looks and performance. You just have to be very careful and know exactly what you're looking for.

If you're into models of Fairbanks Morse locomotives, Kato makes an H-16-44 which was a 4-axle, medium sized, road switcher. Its a Kato, so it runs smooth as silk, of course.

Last, but certainly not least is an Atlas SD-24.
SD units have six axles, but this is a short locomotive that can handle your generous curves easily. The big advantage is that this little puppy comes with DCC factory installed! (Installing a hard wired decoder yourself, in something this small, and completely filled with metal weight, is not a task for the faint of heart.) It uses an NCE decoder for motor & headlight only, no sound.

From what I have tried, and others have written about, onboard sound in N-scale locomotives is disappointing. The decoders themselves, and the sounds they make, are fine, the limiting factor is the tiny speaker that can be fitted into a loco that's maybe 3" long and under an inch wide.

I plan to use sound decoders (one steam, one diesel, and maybe one electric, though most electrics were pretty quiet, and play the sound through some speakers mounted around the layout, not inside the locomotives. I'm going to use surplus amplified computer speakers. Moving the sound with the locomotive will be a challenge. I'll need train position sensors that will lower the volume on one speaker while raising the volume on another. Don't hold your breath waiting for that one to happen, it may never come to pass. 馃槙

Traction Fan

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
SideTrack Hobo;

Yes, I like your latest plan. Now its time to rob a few banks to raise the necessary funding, and start building your N-scale empire! 馃槃

Traction Fan
Thank you again TractionFan!
You are a wealth of knowledge.
I will be modifying the passing siding this evening.

I am glad that you like the latest plan. You and others here (they know to whom I speak of lol)
are just as much a part of my N scale empire as I am.
Through all the experience, knowledge and help, not to mention all the kind words. 馃槈 You all have helped me tremendously in my journey thus far!

As far as the bank robbing, there is no need! The funding has already been obtained.
Between a hefty bonus I received upon retirement and selling my motorcycle, I already have the nessasary funds to build my empire 馃榿.

Thanks again and take care!

PS - As I proceed through this journey, I am not done with asking questions just yet! 馃槈

SideTrack Hobo

Registered
Thank you again TractionFan!
You are a wealth of knowledge.
I will be modifying the passing siding this evening.

I am glad that you like the latest plan. You and others here (they know to whom I speak of lol)
are just as much a part of my N scale empire as I am.
Through all the experience, knowledge and help, not to mention all the kind words. 馃槈 You all have helped me tremendously in my journey thus far!

As far as the bank robbing, there is no need! The funding has already been obtained.
Between a hefty bonus I received upon retirement and selling my motorcycle, I already have the nessasary funds to build my empire 馃榿.

Thanks again and take care!

PS - As I proceed through this journey, I am not done with asking questions just yet! 馃槈

SideTrack Hobo
SideTrack Hobo;

Well, I've been "proceeding through my model railroad journey" for over half a century, but I still have to ask a question now & then. Nobody knows it all, though my 7-year old grandson sometimes thinks he does. 馃槃

Wise decision on selling your motorcycle and buying model trains. I don't know of a single case of someone being badly injured, or killed, by a model train! But the hospitals & graveyards have a lot of motorcyclists in them.
One of my brother's best friends as a teenager was a bit like "Fonzie" on the old TV show "Happy Days".
Except in the real life version, this guy spent most of his teen years in a full leg cast. He'd break one leg, spend months recovering, then get on his bike & go break the other leg. Slow learner. Sort of like the local Evil Knievel, but without the long jumps.

Traction Fan

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
By the way, I have some more candidates for diesel switchers.

First that Lifelike "SW-something" I mentioned before is a SW-9/1200 (This same basic prototype switcher locomotive was upgraded many times and the designations changed when a new prime mover was installed or other major improvements were made. So it can be used for any loco in the long series between an SW-9 and an SW-1200) This little model really crawls.

Lifelike is an odd brand. All their early stuff, and some of their new stuff too, is pretty bad. However, they have made some really good running and good looking locomotives too. The really good ones rival Kato, in both looks and performance. You just have to be very careful and know exactly what you're looking for.

If you're into models of Fairbanks Morse locomotives, Kato makes an H-16-44 which was a 4-axle, medium sized, road switcher. Its a Kato, so it runs smooth as silk, of course.

Last, but certainly not least is an Atlas SD-24. SD units have six axles, but this is a short locomotive that can handle your generous curves easily. The big advantage is that this little puppy comes with DCC factory installed! It uses an NCE decoder for motor & headlight only, no sound.
I just saw your edited post TractionFan.
I will look into these other candidates as well.

Thanks,
SideTrack Hobo

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Ok, I'm hesitant to say that the layout plan is Done! But...it's pretty darn close! ;)

I increased the length of the passing siding on the left side up to the apex. I was not able to put in a right hand curved turnout on the apex because the curved turnout diverging track only curves to the inside. Not the out side, where it would have needed to connect to the passing siding. The siding would have to be on the inside of the mainline (to the right) for it to have worked out. Not a big deal though, because the objective was still accomplished.

And by the way @JeffHurl.
There has been a major correction done to an un-noticed portion of the layout :unsure: I'm sure that you will notice it though ;) :LOL:

SideTrack Hobo

Slope Font Rectangle Parallel Diagram

Registered
If I may make a suggestion that requires no changes... I'd like to nominate a name for that town in the lower right of the plan. Bauldeville. Because of all the fun switching puzzles you'll have there.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
If I may make a suggestion that requires no changes... I'd like to nominate a name for that town in the lower right of the plan. Bauldeville. Because of all the fun switching puzzles you'll have there.
Ok, Nomination accepted! lol
Are you talking about the present "Small Town of Willow" located on the right, near the East Yard? lol

Registered
Oh, I... didn't see "town of willow" but I do see the need for new glasses. Lol
It's a play on words. Bauldeville. Lots of head scratchin goin on there.
Inspired by Prophetstown, Illinois; "where money talks and people listen."

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Oh, I... didn't see "town of willow" but I do see the need for new glasses. Lol
It's a play on words. Bauldeville. Lots of head scratchin goin on there.
Inspired by Prophetstown, Illinois; "where money talks and people listen."
You gave me a good chuckle! lol
Here ya go, just for you, lol

Slope Font Parallel Rectangle Circle

81 - 100 of 107 Posts