Model Train Forum banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

· Registered
5,931 Posts
Ok, I'm hesitant to say that the layout plan is Done! But...it's pretty darn close! ;)

I increased the length of the passing siding on the left side up to the apex. I was not able to put in a right hand curved turnout on the apex because the curved turnout diverging track only curves to the inside. Not the out side, where it would have needed to connect to the passing siding. The siding would have to be on the inside of the mainline (to the right) for it to have worked out. Not a big deal though, because the objective was still accomplished.

And by the way @JeffHurl.
There has been a major correction done to an un-noticed portion of the layout :unsure: I'm sure that you will notice it though ;) :LOL:

SideTrack Hobo

View attachment 597396
SideTrack Hobo;

Can't you keep the passing siding on the outside by using the other ("diverging", smaller radius) leg of the curved turnout as the "mainline" and the larger radius leg of the curved turnout on the outside to connect to the siding?
Have you tried my other suggestion, using a conventional turnout's slightly curved route as the mainline curve, and the straight route as the siding connection? Again, this would be to the outside, so you wouldn't have to move your siding.

Traction Fan 🙂

· Registered
5,931 Posts
@OilValleyRy
I may have to create a Night Club there that will feature acts such as burlesque, comedy and song and dance. ;)

Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea!!
In that case, why not name it "vaudeville" ? The old vaudeville theatres featured all those acts.

Or you could go with "Hell on wheels" the very shady entourage that followed 19th century American railroad construction. It featured booze, bosoms, (on "calico cats") brawls, crooked card games, and muggings. Just the sort of place for drunken, horny, Irishmen to "relax" after a hard week of spike driving. 😄
By the way the TV series "Hell on wheels" is excellent, and a fair account of the seedy side of the life of folks involved in building the transcontinental railroad.

Traction Fan 😊

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
SideTrack Hobo;

Can't you keep the passing siding on the outside by using the other ("diverging", smaller radius) leg of the curved turnout as the "mainline" and the larger radius leg of the curved turnout on the outside to connect to the siding?
Have you tried my other suggestion, using a conventional turnout's slightly curved route as the mainline curve, and the straight route as the siding connection? Again, this would be to the outside, so you wouldn't have to move your siding.

Traction Fan 🙂
After looking at what you had suggested TractionFan, I saw another possibility.
This morning I realized that I had forgot to merge back in the Arrival/Departure track to the Mainline on the South end of the yard. Then after reading your suggestion, it dawned on me to just switch the Mainline and the Passing around.
The Mainline to the outside and the Passing to the inside. But then I thought, why not just make the passing the A/D track. That way it can also double as a passing.
Now with this being corrected, I have the ability to have arrival trains being dropped off for re-classification and I have the ability to make up a train for departure.
Looks like a win win to me! ;)

Let me know what you think of the new draft #15 below. (Yes, I took the time to count up all the drafts so far :))

Thank you again TractionFan. Your suggestion planted the seed and it grew into something remarkable lol.
SideTrack Hobo

Font Pattern Rectangle Circle Symmetry

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
In that case, why not name it "vaudeville" ? The old vaudeville theatres featured all those acts.

Or you could go with "Hell on wheels" the very shady entourage that followed 19th century American railroad construction. It featured booze, bosoms, (on "calico cats") brawls, crooked card games, and muggings. Just the sort of place for drunken, horny, Irishmen to "relax" after a hard week of spike driving. 😄
By the way the TV series "Hell on wheels" is excellent, and a fair account of the seedy side of the life of folks involved in building the transcontinental railroad.

Traction Fan 😊
You know, after a few glasses of pinot and being tired late last night, when I first read @OilValleyRy post, I misread that there word "Bauldeville for Vaudeville. I saw a "V" instead of the "B" :sneaky:
That's why I made the comment about having a night club that would feature acts such as burlesque, comedy and song and dance :)
I guess OilValleyRy is not the only one that "sees the need for new glasses" :LOL:

· Registered
5,931 Posts
After looking at what you had suggested TractionFan, I saw another possibility.
This morning I realized that I had forgot to merge back in the Arrival/Departure track to the Mainline on the South end of the yard. Then after reading your suggestion, it dawned on me to just switch the Mainline and the Passing around.
The Mainline to the outside and the Passing to the inside. But then I thought, why not just make the passing the A/D track. That way it can also double as a passing.
Now with this being corrected, I have the ability to have arrival trains being dropped off for re-classification and I have the ability to make up a train for departure.
Looks like a win win to me! ;)

Let me know what you think of the new draft #15 below. (Yes, I took the time to count up all the drafts so far :))

Thank you again TractionFan. Your suggestion planted the seed and it grew into something remarkable lol.
SideTrack Hobo

View attachment 597427
SideTrack Hobo;

Plan #15 looks fine to me.(y)

Traction Fan 🙂

101 - 107 of 107 Posts