Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New here and just posting some pics of my layout so far " the dog river branch "

control system is d.c

consists of two 1'x4' modules with a 9.5" adaptor module in the middle which has had all its unitrack joiners modified to slide in and fit but it won't lock together ( too difficult to remove without breaking something ) . the first module contains 3 switching tracks and a team track siding . The second module has a long siding that is used by the local logging company to load logs and is also used as a departure track . when the two modules are connected , it forms a large Loco runaround before the switch yard which is very handy for operations .

each module is wired so I can run trains on either module individually or when connected with the other ones . the 25 led streetlights and 4 red track end lights are all running off a 2xaa battery pack with rechargeable batteries.

Scratchbuilt - I like scratchbuilding and I like saving money so most things people buy , I build . some items on my layout I've scratched : all buildings , all trees and scatter , grasses , ballast , all the mountains and rock formations , both bridges I made from aluminum scrap , some rollingstock ( I'm just now getting into this )
as with most layouts this is not complete and a work in progress, I will be updating this thread periodically so check back and feel free to ask any questions , thanks .
Track Wood Rolling stock Asphalt Road surface

Track Rolling stock Railway Rolling Wood
Train Rolling stock Wood Plant Track

Road surface Asphalt Track Electricity Rolling stock

Track Wood Urban design Railway Landscape

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nicely done.
Very nice indeed! I would love to eventually do something like this that's portable and make it tie into my layout that I need to finish first!
thanks , I need to finish too ! this little layout has a long way to go before it matches my vision but how it always goes . yes , portability/storage was one of my main goals . we live in our r.v fulltime while I'm building our cabin and space is at a premium but I still wanted a layout. this fits the bill perfectly . and like you said I planned on building this in a way that I could incorporate it in a future larger more permanent layout . it pays to plan ahead !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice and weathering the Unitrack makes it look realistic. I have never seen anyone do that. (y)
it looks rough though . only parts of the track have been weathered and the rest of it looks plastic and fake especially around the turnouts . I still have to ballast in between the track too . lots to do still , but thanks . I'm trying .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like it is a fun switching layout to operate. Don't forget the grain elevator!
The prototype is actually in Rouleau, Saskatchewan on the Canadian Pacific.
It was renamed for use in a Canadian television sitcom series.
Sky Plant Building Wood House

A cardstock model was available from Vanishing Sentinels, but, sadly, the owner of the company, Jim Pearson passed away a few years ago. Here's what his model looked like.
Sleeve Rectangle Font T-shirt Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like it is a fun switching layout to operate. Don't forget the grain elevator!
The prototype is actually in Rouleau, Saskatchewan on the Canadian Pacific.
It was renamed for use in a Canadian television sitcom series. View attachment 583566
A cardstock model was available from Vanishing Sentinels, but, sadly, the owner of the company, Jim Pearson passed away a few years ago. Here's what his model looked like. View attachment 583565
thanks but it's the wrong dog river. the one I'm modeling is in Alabama .... dog river al.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts