Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 71 years old I have been blessed with the ability and time to enjoy modeling and scratch building. Not only in Model Railroading but also in Scale RC Boats and RC airplanes. Considering my age and health I have chosen to build a small layout in our new house. To this end I have decided to pay tribute to the man who originally inspired me. John Allen. Oh No, not another GD G&D. Yes, another Gore & Daphetid.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to thank Spence and Cole for their kind words and support. I will be adding additional threads for the Viaduct and turntable in the near future.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
OK, you've got me watching.
Need anything? Scale lumber, log cars, dirt from New Jersey, lichen from NJ, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
additional photos

this is a photo of of the current stage of construction. I would also like to add the track is Peco Code 75 with Peco turnouts and Tortoise switch machines. It will be wired DC. I have a Sakura 0-4-0 Dockside the same as John's #10 Dockside from 1965 Transport Product Locomotive Scale model Vehicle I will be adding a thread for the Viaduct, Turntable in the near future. I am not sure which version of the Engine House I am going to build. I have a Pre-printed version of Clever Models Gore Engine house from several years Back that I haven't tackled. I also have original issues of The Model Craftsmen from Oct,Nov and Dec 1948 in which John explains how he scratch built it.(I was 6 months old:rolleyes:) I am leaning towards that version. Thanks for looking and I will add more as I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Allen later incorporated his original G&D into a much larger version. I remember it being featured in Model Railroader in the late 70's or early 80's. I'm looking forward to your updates.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Is the layout pictured in B&W the same layout in the scaled drawing? It looks a lot larger in the photo than the plan would suggest.

Or is this the larger expanded layout you spoke of that he constructed later?

Interesting little layout with a lot of operation possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Picture is the beginning of Johns expansion of the drawing. I am constructing a version of the original Gore & Daphetid in the drawing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts