Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I like it. What scale?

My only suggestions would be to use right hand turnouts for your yard ladder to eliminate the S curves, and at the bottom, bring that entry into the loop off of the yard ladder main into a smooth curve also eliminating the S curve.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it. What scale?

My only suggestions would be to use right hand turnouts for your yard ladder to eliminate the S curves, and at the bottom, bring that entry into the loop off of the yard ladder main into a smooth curve also eliminating the S curve.
N scale of coarse. i like the way the train wiggles through the turn outs s curves ect. gives it more action to me.. had a hard time putting it together .. nothing would fit right according to the program used.

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
N scale of coarse. i like the way the train wiggles through the turn outs s curves ect. gives it more action to me.. had a hard time putting it together .. nothing would fit right according to the program used.
Well, yes, that's one of the drawbacks to sectional track.

It would be both cheaper and easier to use flex track instead of sectional pieces.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, yes, that's one of the drawbacks to sectional track.

It would be both cheaper and easier to use flex track instead of sectional pieces.
ageed i like flex track too. BUT i love kato track it just works. hard to put together some times , but it works way less derails easyer to figger out why it derails IF one does. all around very good track... i do have some flex track an may use some on the new lay out where there is lots of straight ways... I finly got scarm figgered out with help of you tube videos. WEW . made some changes to next years layout added a siding inbetween tracks.
Ok so tell me what ya think an ideas on this new oneone side will be some sorta town the other industrail something er other ?? Things you would change besides the s turns things i like the way the trains move an wiggle through them.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
I really like your basic track plan. A single track
main with several passing sidings affords lots of
continuous running with two (or more) trains going
clockwise AND counter clockwise. (assuming that
you are running DC).

You have a few spurs for industries...there's room
for more. I like to think SMALL railroad users such
as Oil distributors, sand and rock sellers, small
food distributor, Furniture and appliance distributors,
power plants and the like. You could have more than
one on a spur resulting in the need to do some
creative switching. Also make one or more of your
yard spurs as loco service area with fuel tanks and
sand pits.

The location of the 'town' is perfect, the railroad simply
running around it. Nice scenic opportunities.

Don

·
Registered
9,562 Posts
Well, I'll have to differ with you on flex track vs Kato. If you have more derailments with flex track, then you're not bring careful enough when you lay it, and you're creating kinks and overly tight curves.

You're in N scale, so you're probably all right, but do you have enough room to gain the elevation needed for the over / under in the upper left using a reasonable grade (2% or less)?

I think the reason you don't like those two areas of your plan is because they look rigid and unnatural. Here again, flex track would allow you to get a much more natural appearance. You can kind of get the same effect by using a short curve segment after the diverging leg of the turnouts.

Also, if it were me, I'd take the outer track of that dogbone and run it all the way around the layout, giving you a double-tracked main.

I'm also not a big fan of the stub-ended yard inside the curve. It looks too cramped. I would move the through track on the right side of the yard as far right as you can, bring the other through track right next to it, and flip your stub tracks to the left side of that track.

Some curved turnouts would also help smooth out a lot of the awkward areas, but those aren't offered in Unitrack, as far as I know.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't think anyone has brought this up..You have no connection to the outer world/other RRs..How did that B&O coal hopper get on your RR ?..How will you send those 3 reefers of strawberries across the country ? Unless you plan to be a completely isolated RR you need an interchange track leading off the edge of the benchwork depicting this. If you find a way to have this track where you can treat it as a staging track, you can remove and replace cars on/off the layout. That will lend credibility to the foreign cars/your cars on/off your RR..The straight track to far right of industries could descend under the 2 looped mains into a tunnel and continue round to in front of but below the industries then dead end as your staging. This of course can split into several holding tracks, too..

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well ive redrawn the whole shabang .i like this one better , but i think im going to change it so both tracks run all the way insted of going nto one track. , i just want to get something drwn up that will stick. because this will be semi permanent and long time building. 1 criteria i have is i have to use what i have. i like flex track , but i dont like having to do all that balisting ect. i did build a small layout with all flex trak once, it was fun , but i had a lot of bugs to work out, i dont like bugs an i dont like there turn outs either. i like simple easy an just works.....

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK scapped the whole shabang. started all ove again. how about this new one, comments please. ill add a track leading off to who knows where later (telltale)you did raise a good point hahahahahaha:)

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
RE new plan in post 12:

The yard tracks on the left look to be too short to hold much of anything, and there's no reason to have them double-ended. Way too many switches!

My opinion only.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive scrapped this plan for a new one hahaha maybe this one will be more better. as always comments are very much needed . ive got some time before i start building. i just want to get a good one. with what i have to work with. :) i build i tear it down i build again i tear it down.. maybe i should just build a constrution site hahahahahahahaha :)

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RE new plan in post 12:

The yard tracks on the left look to be too short to hold much of anything, and there's no reason to have them double-ended. Way too many switches!

My opinion only.
how do you build with out switches ????:confused:

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
These are neat plans Sid. All the variations are great so you have lots to look at to make a final choice. I'd like to suggest that you have a town at the end of each peninsula, Industries at the left end of the peninsula with agriculture on one and industrial on the other and then tracks,yards and other RR facilities in the middle area with buildings to handle what is produced by the two towns. Reduce the amount of track you have laid out as it's all more than you will actually use. Consider what your hauling and then build a RR to haul it and handle it's distribution. An interchange of RR cars, truck facilities, service places for the trains and the trucks and lots of people living in the towns to accommodate. In other words think of the towns first and then apply the RR to that. My 2 cents worth. Ha! We having fun yet?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Norgale; i could get rid of some of the yard trasks as i realy dont think id use that may. Thanks for the sugestions . ill play around some more . ill get one figgered out one day. i know for sure im keeping the out side loop as that fits in the room i have . every thing inside is open for ideas. hahahaha this is hard work.. hahahahahaha

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well ive been redoing an moving rails around . came up with this. man this is hard work, my neck is sore hahahahahahaah whay ya'll think of this one. too much too little or just plain not thinking any more hahahahahahahahah gimmy good bad an the ugly hahahahahahahaha:D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
OK that's interesting. Now start filling in with your buildings and roads. That will show you anything that needs to be changed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts