Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original layout my father built for me around 1958 was built on
a 9 by 5 foot ping pong table. After much agonizing over what type of bench work I wanted I decided to build my new layout around my original 5 by 9 foot table. I added a 3 foot by 5 foot extension to one end of the table to give me a 12 ft run. On the other end of the table I put a 4 foot by 5 foot extension which gives me a 10ft run on one side. I filled in the elbow with a 3ft triangle to give a different effect to the track design and possibly other options. It breaks my heart to dismantle my original layout but I'm sure I'll be happy with the new set up. Will keep you posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Looks like an improvement to me. Keep us posted. How thick is the new plywood?
I need a layout for my S. I want my layout to be L shaped also.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is 3/4 inch plywood. I can stand on it. Maybe a little Overkill but the original table was 3/4 inches so I followed that.

·
Registered
770 Posts
bigger is better.

Like your layout. But couldn't get the picture to straighten up either. Loves to go horizontal rather than vertical.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Making progress. Removed all the track and rubber roadbed and all the old 14 gauge solid core bus wires. Will be replaced with 14 gauge stranded wire. Next I removed the old grass paper. Will not miss that stuff. Also removed about 500 Staples. Sad to see it all go but now I can't wait for the new stuff. Ping pong anyone? Sorry I don't know how to get these pictures to straighten out.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nothing like cold gray rainy days in New England. Uggh!!!!!! However on the bright side it gives me more time to work on my layout. I got most of the plexiglass up and started playing with different track configurations. l Also started unpacking accessories and seeing how they will fit. Not sure at this time but I'm trying to work from the outside in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Your dad would be happy with what you have done with the layout. Looks good.
The plexiglass looks good. I just don't know why you mounted layout upside down.
Just kidding. I went through a spell of sideway and upside down pics and then it
straightened up on its own.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
If you do not have a photo editor such as Photoshop or GIMP and are using Windows, you can open your photos with the built-in photo viewer.

Once opened you can rotate the photo to the correct orientation. When you move to the next photo, Windows will save the orientation.

If you are simply uploading these as an attachment without any editing you get the result you see with the upside down and sideways photos. This site software cannot read the meta data embedded in the digital data within the photo.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am uploading these photos from my Motorola z3 cell phone. I have tried rotating them all different ways and still no difference.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nothing like cold gray rainy days in New England. Uggh!!!!!! However on the bright side it gives me more time to work on my layout. I got most of the plexiglass up and started playing with different track configurations. l Also started unpacking accessories and seeing how they will fit. Not sure at this time but I'm trying to work from the outside in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
nice layout:appl:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts