Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I spent a week tearing them all apart, cleaning and lubing. all these are running great. yes I know one closest needs rear wheels. gotem just gotta get a c clip tmorrow.

cant believe how easy it was as they didnt run or shrieked when ran or were running jittery...

only 1 from the bunch not running. Lionel 1666. Tore it down and lubed. put together and nothing. played with e-unit.. nothing.. flipped over and realized bottom electrical tab in rear was worn so bad it was shaped like a u. I tried squishing it but ripped it out. Dont know how it goes back in. went on ebay and realized front one was missing. $33 buy it now from ebay ...guy said tested good... so ill plop it in when i get it, after greasing of course...
then all locos that have been sitting for 40 years in a box will be running.

next up... bought 3 button controller for coal ramp. Bought new shaft assembly for coal loader so much work to be done.

still gotta take cattle loader and test.
there are other things in boxes I will be looking to work on. limited room so looking to do any item that moves..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
That's a nice lot. All in very, very nice condition. The turbine is cool but the 2-8-4 Berkshire is the top of the lot.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx!!!!

yes, getting all of these from a friend, to whom they all belonged to her father, caught me off guard. She has 2 kids and her and her husband bought the O gauge polar express (maybe ill inherit that next) and set it up for their kids which are 5 and 8 ( i think ). They played with that for 5 minutes and were done.

so i have all of this stuff and been going through it all. cleaned up a lot of track and still not sure if its salvageable as the track was very rusty. Sitting in boxes in a basement since 1985.

Once I get that 1666 up and running, all of the locos are running. I just need 1 bulb for the blue one and the 1666 is missing the front bulb socket and bulb. The replacement coming has same deal... but other than that all are good..

next up is 3x coal whistles... 1 works 90% and want to get it a bit better, another works 75% and the 3rd works 0%.... GOTTA HAVE WHISTLES!!!!!

then onto the cars. I have 4 Sunoco tankers (gave 5th to a friend), Baby Ruth, Spot light cars, and more.. all to go through, clean/oil...

Also cleaning the basement to do a setup. Was gonna not do the O and get into the HO instead but I wanna get some of this going...
Items to get into a layout:
  • Coal Ramp
  • Coal Loader
  • Log Loader
  • Barrel Loader
  • Milk platform
  • Some other Barrel thing
  • Lights/accessories/etc
  • Track will use the 022's as i have 5 complete sets
more to come...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im gonna sell some of the stuff to fund other things...
im not planning on scenery or anything. just track, trains, lights, etc...

gonna sell the buildings.. I have a box of buildings apart... quick look one was post office and on back has 1952 stamped in it.

but this is first wave to selll....
car hauler and red car are worth some coin...

20200117_082415_1579267486834.jpg

·
Registered
812 Posts
im gonna sell some of the stuff to fund other things...
im not planning on scenery or anything. just track, trains, lights, etc...

gonna sell the buildings.. I have a box of buildings apart... quick look one was post office and on back has 1952 stamped in it.

but this is first wave to selll....
car hauler and red car are worth some coin...

View attachment 522432
Riggzie;

Just a bit of advice.
I would hold onto ALL of the accessories you have, until you get your layout set up, at least to the running stage. You may regret getting rid of these buildings, cars, and trucks. They are not cheap, and when and if you decide to add them to your layout in the future, you will kick yourself in the rear, every time you have to go to the bank, to take out a loan to replace them. Take the time to clean up what you have, and build the layout. By then you may want more on your layout.
JMHO, based on my experience.

It took me 30 years to get back most of the stuff I sold off in bulk back in the late 80's. Some I simply can not afford, or not willing to pay what the replacement cost is.

Dan

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Do you have the door for the big gasoline tanker?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Riggzie;

Just a bit of advice.
I would hold onto ALL of the accessories you have, until you get your layout set up, at least to the running stage. You may regret getting rid of these buildings, cars, and trucks. They are not cheap, and when and if you decide to add them to your layout in the future, you will kick yourself in the rear, every time you have to go to the bank, to take out a loan to replace them. Take the time to clean up what you have, and build the layout. By then you may want more on your layout.
JMHO, based on my experience.

It took me 30 years to get back most of the stuff I sold off in bulk back in the late 80's. Some I simply can not afford, or not willing to pay what the replacement cost is.

Dan
I agree with Dan. I sold off a bunch of stuff only to repurchase at a higher price. Argh....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts