Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reducing my insane collection by selling off items. I am on ebay every day. Ebay is essentially a dealer website now such as Trainz. Buybit Now take it or leave it. And I hate that about ebay but it is not going to change.

I have way too much. And a new serious relationship means I am on the move again. I put 12 items on ebay that badically did not mset my current layout direction. CSX, Railking and Williams when I had upgraded. That sort of thing.

I netted plenty of sales cash. Maybe 75% of what I had in the items but a couple where I made money.

I started every honest "auction" at $1. My experience is on most of my nice pieces the watchers views and bidders were active and large.
Meanwhile all of those Buy It Now auctions run week after week with no sales.

I collect primarily Rock Island, Milwaukee Road, CB & Q (Burlington) and UP. I run my UP into the modern era but my other 3 lines I run until they ended.

I am considering selling all of my UP stuff. I think I have about $7000 of UP stuff. This is based off selling $1800 of items for 11 items.

Pete knows this but I needed a critical Atlas California Zephyr Observation passenger car so I bought the whole set for $670 shipped. I kept 2 of the 4 car set and sold 2 for $415 in my recent auctions after starting them at $1.

I wish ebay would restructure this stupid business model where they are allowing dealers to list for free at Buy It Now pricing that seldom sells and go with my $1 or modest - starting prices and let the market decide. I had real solud activity. I lost money on a few of my Williams items and a couple of MTH items but I sold them. Thats the point. Moved them out. Created money and space for a change in running direction.

Over the past 8 years I went nuts. My fiance refers to my train stuff as Train sh**. Its not that she does not want me to continue the hobby, she loves it, but she helped me set up the storage racks and went "wow"!

There have been discussions on the forum about excess. Some of us are guilty of this. When I have wanted something that I felt was more than I wanted to pay but I wanted it, I bought it. Not sure there are many that do that. In some cases, I ordered NEW MTH when I had PS1 or PS2 items that were the same.
Not really any point here except a cautionary tale of overspending and the reality of thd current market, subject to your comments.

With more than enough Burlington, Milwaukee Road, and my favorite- Rock Island, I am torn whether to start selling U.P. it was a lot of work to box up 11 items and go pay $225 at the post office on my day off. I have at least 20 or more nice UP locomotives and 75 items of rolling stock.

I run passenger consists in all of my 4 collected lines. I recently purchased a 3rd Rail E7, and 2 Weaver E7s. I have MTH Premier passenger cars to run behind it.

Can this $1 auction start work to return 75% of my expenditures of my likely $7500 purchase costs? Or do I keep most of it and run 4 lines?

·
Registered
887 Posts
There used to be a way to private message on MTF. If I can find a way to contact you off forum I would like to see what you may want to sell.

Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My email direct is [email protected] I am not worried about SPAM, etc like some folks so reach out to me if you would like.

I grabbed another 6-7 items, now into Rolling Stock. I got some negative mail from dealers for starting auctions at $1 for items that were worth more in theory. ebay being what it has become - you would think would lead to a competitive website or forum where "real world" market driven sales could flourish.

There was another recent post where a forum member "handed over" their items to a middle man and I believe received 50-65 cents on the dollar. I average that on ebay with my $1 start auctions.

I was amazed at the number of watchers and views. There are buyers. Mostly, I lost some money, but have repurposed the money and everyone is getting their items.

The low end of the spectrum was interesting - Williams. I sold a B "Diesel" for $35 or so, same on an RPO. I pay whatever on these, so I had $75 in each. Not much interest in these.

I purchased a CB & Q E3 B from Caboose Stop for $70 plus tax that sold for $35. I run full(er) mostly 1:48 and had 2 E's I purchased from MTH new and did not need this one.

These sales will inform my purchase decisions if any in the future. I looked long and hard at my Union Pacific items when I was at the home yesterday. (Moving, again) and my thinking is to sell all of my Union Pacific items and just run CB & Q, Milwaukee Road, and Rock Island. And we all have rolling stock not assigned to a road name, so that sort of thing.

But I pulled down some of my U.P. Diesels and I like them. I have a Williams U.P. SD90 that I am sure I have over $200 in, and I like it, and almost added it to my "to do" auctions list. It's heavy, nicely decorated with perhaps lower Williams detailing but I can't tell much, and most importantly it's obviously conventional. I run conventional and have 5 or so MTH and Weaver PS1.0-PS 2.0 engines with some worry about the electronics, although most ran OK for me.

I have a brand new ES44AC MTH Rail King from 2020 catalog 1 I am into for $375. So moving UP out would be tough. Total 10 locomotives including a recently purchased 3rd Rail E7 and 2 Weaver E's both powered. The rolling stock is tough to sell on ebay because of shipping costs - total costs.

I added a KANSAS CITY SOUTHERN MTH Premier that I paid $535 for and ran once, it's new. There is no market on ebay for this. All of the locomotives I follow with + $300 price tags seldom sell, +$400 no sales - sometimes for years!

If I start this ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL Kansas City Southern Diesel at $1, it "may" sell for the low $300's, especially to another dealer who will flip it. Why not just keep it? I might, but I have to stop the insanity somewhere and the sale price could support other interests.

I have way too much to list or do a onsy twosy on. A cautionary tale for sure, I don't need so much.

I travel my area for work, and what I typically see in the modern sense is GATX black tank cars. And plainer hoppers with little to no identification on them. I would love a strong 20 + car GATX fuel tank consist to pull out and run but ebay pricing on these take it or leave it items run from $59 to $109. They will be on ebay for years unsold. Like with vehicles, pricing would be more realistic if ebay would charge a listing fee, but by being free, the dealers extend their brick and mortar stores to the virtual world and don't care if you don't like the prices.

·
Admin
44,781 Posts
There used to be a way to private message on MTF. If I can find a way to contact you off forum I would like to see what you may want to sell.
There still is. Click on the recipient's avatar and select Start conversation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts