Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depending on your viewpoint, Railway of Mexico ceased to exist in 1998, or it changed its name to Mexican Railways. It was the largest railroad in Mexico, where the government owned all the railroads until it privatized them in 1998.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Hmmm, I'd never thought about RRs in Mexico. I've seen them in old western movies, but never thought that they grew as time moved ahead. Is there still much activity throughout the country, or have they faded due to trucks?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I'd never thought about RRs in Mexico. I've seen them in old western movies, but never thought that they grew as time moved ahead. Is there still much activity throughout the country, or have they faded due to trucks?
All Mexican railroads except for the Mexico City Transit System are primarily freight systems, although they pull some passenger cars.

Wikipedia tells us " FNM suffered significant financial difficulties, running an operating deficit of $552 million (37 percent of its operating budget) in 1991. Competition from trucking and shipping decreased railroad's share of the total freight market to about 9 percent, or about half of rail's share a decade earlier."

As with the US, Mexican railroads had to merge in order to survive their decreased traffic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts