Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am in the early stages of building a layout and am using Atlas track (which may have been a mistake). As my rolling stock runs over a turnout every axle does a little jump. After much trying to see what is going on I have come to the conclusion that the frog isn't deep enough for the wheel flanges, so they ride up. My rolling stock is new, so not pizza cutters. One wagon, in particular, is derailing as it does the little jump, which is very frustrating.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Is this an Atlas problem or do other brands have the same issue?
Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Cheers

Colon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check with with the track gauge?
Thanks for your reply.

I don't have a gauge checking thing. I don't think that is the problem. All the rolling stock ride up on the wheel flanges as they go through the frog. This seems to be a design/manufacturing fault. I am disappointed with the Atlas turnouts; in addition to this problem is the fact that the through track is not straight, there is a definite curve in it. Also one of my turnouts I have to hold in the turn position to avoid some wagons going one way and the others going the other way.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Maybe post this in the N scale section as well.....you may get a lot more comments and help there....

·
Registered
708 Posts
Go to Search Community and type in Improving Atlas Turnouts. You’ll find numerous threads on this topic and several specific tutorials.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts