Model Train Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
No... they are not track plans per se, but layouts. And they are PDFs. While they all have descriptions (minimum turnout number, min curve radius, max grade,etc), you would have to reproduce it in Anyrail. I have done this (see post #6 in this thread: A Collection of Track Plans ).

But, they are all quality layouts, designed with purpose and a specific plan of operations in mind, not just ones thrown together for the sake of marketing.
I found this one will have to see about anyrail. Any good tutorials for anyrail?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,096 Posts
Nice little layout. My only concern is trying to do slopes in a layout that small. You have no choice but to do steep grades. That one eases the problem a bit by having one track descend 1" and the other ascend 1" to get the necessary clearance.

There aren't any tutorials for Anyrail that I am aware of, but it's so intuitive you really don't need them. Read the online manual, and if you get stuck, ask. One of us frequent Anyrail users has probably figured it out already.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Nice little layout. My only concern is trying to do slopes in a layout that small. You have no choice but to do steep grades. That one eases the problem a bit by having one track descend 1" and the other ascend 1" to get the necessary clearance.

There aren't any tutorials for Anyrail that I am aware of, but it's so intuitive you really don't need them. Read the online manual, and if you get stuck, ask. One of us frequent Anyrail users has probably figured it out already.
Since I am still in the early planing stage is it even possible to do a small layout with HO instead of N? My guess maybe not with it being only 36 inches wide. Unless I would do a straight yard kind of thing with no turns.

·
Registered
11,096 Posts
Since I am still in the early planing stage is it even possible to do a small layout with HO instead of N? My guess maybe not with it being only 36 inches wide. Unless I would do a straight yard kind of thing with no turns.
Correct. If 36" really is the maximum width you can fit, then the largest turn you could manage is 15" radius (because radius is in the track centerline so at 18" your rails would hang over the edge). So if you want a continuous loop, N scales is your only option.

That said, if you're willing to give up the continuous running, there are lots of nice switching layouts that would fit in that footprint in HO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Correct. If 36" really is the maximum width you can fit, then the largest turn you could manage is 15" radius (because radius is in the track centerline so at 18" your rails would hang over the edge). So if you want a continuous loop, N scales is your only option.

That said, if you're willing to give up the continuous running, there are lots of nice switching layouts that would fit in that footprint in HO.
Have been looking for decent switching HO layouts but most seem very sparce or too big

·
Registered
11,096 Posts
Have been looking for decent switching HO layouts but most seem very sparce or too big
Space is everything. You can't stuff 10 pounds of manure into a 5 pound bag, and the amount of space you have dictates to a large extent what you can put in it. You either have to accept the limitations imposed by your space, or find a way to either increase the space or use it more effectively.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Space is everything. You can't stuff 10 pounds of manure into a 5 pound bag, and the amount of space you have dictates to a large extent what you can put in it. You either have to accept the limitations imposed by your space, or find a way to either increase the space or use it more effectively.
I get that, is it possible to setup kind of like a broken U turn with HO. So at one end the train pulls past a switch into a dead end, You throw the switch and then the train backs up, goes past the switch, throw another switch and now the train can come back out on the main siding facing op direction of what they started as. Not sure what you would call it in train speak.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
You are talking about a wye, but I don't know if you have room enough to turn even a short train unless it is older era equipment a short switcher diesels or steam tank locomotives. Still going to be a tight fit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
You are talking about a wye, but I don't know if you have room enough to turn even a short train unless it is older era equipment a short switcher diesels or steam tank locomotives. Still going to be a tight fit.
Not the entire train, Just the locomotive or maybe just better to do a turntable

·
Registered
11,096 Posts
Not the entire train, Just the locomotive or maybe just better to do a turntable
In order to reverse directions of the entire train, you have to be able to fit the whole train into each leg of the wye. If you just want to turn the loco, you need tracks to be able to run it around the train to get back to the front. And it doesn't really save much space, either. Real trains, and our locos, aren't geared for forward and reverse like road vehicles are. You simple run the traction motors in the opposite direction (or start steam in the opposite end of the piston), so they run equally well forwards or backwards. There are some challenges running backwards (you need a real person on the lead car, for instance), and some long trains might not handle being pushed as well as pulled, but it can be done.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I believe I am going to stick with N scale as it gives a lot more flexibility
Given your space limits, that sounds like a wise decision. A change of one scale size seldom causes any serious problems, except those related to available space. HO-scale and N-scale are both very popular, run reliably, have plenty available. and are close in price.
The deciding factor is often space. In your case a layout that will fit on a door-sized space is simply going to be easier in the smaller scale.

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

Going with this layout after everything said and done. I am not any good at working the anyrail program. Anyone decided to do New York Central (NYC). Does anyone in N scale put out freight cars that would match the 1940's and 50's, Do not have to be marked New York Central but that would be a bonus. Maybe freight car kits?

Andrew

·
Registered
67 Posts

Going with this layout after everything said and done. I am not any good at working the anyrail program. Anyone decided to do New York Central (NYC). Does anyone in N scale put out freight cars that would match the 1940's and 50's, Do not have to be marked New York Central but that would be a bonus. Maybe freight car kits?

Andrew
Yes, quite a few. 2 bay NYC coal hoppers, michigan central (nyc) gondolas, etc. TOFC, I swear I have a NYC wood reefer. I’ve got three bachmann 4-6-0s, 2 unlettered, 1 NYC all decoder equipped. Also a custom lettered and weathered Kato Mohawk, and I think a Niagara that has yet to be stripped down, but I have the decals. I also have a ABBA set of Intermountain FTs in lightning stripes, no DCC installed. I also have a Kato 6 car streamlined passenger set in mint condition, and the PA PB set.

I’m willing to part with all of it, except that passenger set. I might sell that for the right price. It’s iffy, spent 6 years hunting for it, paid through the nose. It's exceptionally rare even in “fair” condition with applied detail parts, or some missing. Mine are all on the sprues, in the bag, with the factory tape sealing it, in the foam lined binder. It’s the pride of my N scale collection.
That gem aside, I’d let the rest (9 locos total and 12+ NYC lettered assorted freight cars, 2 lighted spectrum heavyweight passenger cars) go for $950. Some are weathered (by me) and some are NIB.

On another note, whether N or HO, a New York harbor pier layout during WWII would be a packed narrow layout.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Yes, quite a few. 2 bay NYC coal hoppers, michigan central (nyc) gondolas, etc. TOFC, I swear I have a NYC wood reefer. I’ve got three bachmann 4-6-0s, 2 unlettered, 1 NYC all decoder equipped. Also a custom lettered and weathered Kato Mohawk, and I think a Niagara that has yet to be stripped down, but I have the decals. I also have a ABBA set of Intermountain FTs in lightning stripes, no DCC installed. I also have a Kato 6 car streamlined passenger set in mint condition, and the PA PB set.

I’m willing to part with all of it, except that passenger set. I might sell that for the right price. It’s iffy, spent 6 years hunting for it, paid through the nose. It's exceptionally rare even in “fair” condition with applied detail parts, or some missing. Mine are all on the sprues, in the bag, with the factory tape sealing it, in the foam lined binder. It’s the pride of my N scale collection.
That gem aside, I’d let the rest (9 locos total and 12+ NYC lettered assorted freight cars, 2 lighted spectrum heavyweight passenger cars) go for $950. Some are weathered (by me) and some are NIB.

On another note, whether N or HO, a New York harbor pier layout during WWII would be a packed narrow layout.

Does anyone make rolling stock kits like they do for HO? I am going to pass on thinking of buying your stuff or anything used right now. I still have a bunch of track and other stuff to buy first. Just trying to find where I can get them later on.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Does anyone make rolling stock kits like they do for HO? I am going to pass on thinking of buying your stuff or anything used right now. I still have a bunch of track and other stuff to buy first. Just trying to find where I can get them later on.
Istmysock112;

Your track plan choice looks good. I like the scenic divider idea and often recommend it.
Intermountain makes some boxcar kits in N-scale, as well as in HO-scale, and O-scale. Ready-to-run cars from the 1940s & 1950s are fairly common.
Micro-Trains cars are excellent. Athearn, and Atlas, are also good brands. You can check www.walthers.com www.modeltrainstuff.com & www.trainworld.com to see what's available. If you haven't already done so, you might also scroll down a couple of threads here in the N-scale forum and read the one about "top-rated N-scale freight car manufacturers."

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh, kit-wise in N scale…. AFAIK the closest thing would be Intermountain which has some “semi-kit” form. Like needing to add the brake stem & wheel on the B end. N scale rolling stock kits are not common for obvious reasons. There might be some “fringe” companies that provide car bodies to swap onto existing car frames or something.
Unless things have changed in the last 7 or 8 years.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've seen some "craftsman" level caboose kits that are quite pricey and are noted as "less trucks, couplers, and decals"; and OilValleyRy seems to be right about Intermountain. Sorry, but you really can't save money in N scale on rolling stock by building kits the way you could in HO in the days of Athearn blue box and Roundhouse kits.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Another question I know a lot of people Solder their track together. Guessing that is not the case with Kato unitrack, I see kato puts out there own feeder wires that make wiring the track easy with out having to use those special feeder sections with the plug that pulls out.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts