Model Train Forum banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah they work great. And Kato makes a little blue tool (included with track) for pulling joiners out of the molded roadbed.
Kato turnouts are power routing too. Which means if you have a set of feeders before the points, the tracks beyond the frog are powered according to which way the points are thrown. This is helpful at times.
While I’m mostly an HO modeler, here is my 8 foot N industrial switching layout. 5 sets of feeders throughout. But the near tracks with the caboose & the one with the loco parked beside it are power routed. That loco won’t move unless the points are thrown. There is an RS-1 way down at the other end, which normally parks in front of the caboose. So it can be useful in parking locos.
Every other track is energized regardless of the point position of nearby turnouts.
Train Wood Track Railway Rolling stock

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Thinking since this layout I picked is 3x6 and my benchwork will be 3x8. I should and could add a yard off the left end of the layout off the dead end track that runs on the outside of the outside loop on the left side. Guessing a couple switches and some more track and make a simple little yard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I notice that no one mentioned Tomix n scale track; as good or better than Kato (if that can be believed) and comes in even more different radius's and types and sizes of switches and such. While not generally available in U.S. hobby shops it is available from lots of online vendors. I get mine from a website called PlazaJapan Model Train - N scale - Track - Page 1 - Plaza Japan . and they have an ebay site as well. Should you go Kato for most of your setup, here's a conversion track so you can use both. Kato 20-045 62mm (2 7/16') Snap-Track Conversion Track
When I switched from O scale to N, I started with Kato, but was amazed at how much Tomix made, so you can use both. Oh, and both seem to be much easier to keep clean than flex track and others, I'm not sure but I think it's because of what they're made of. I like to run my trains, not spend a lot of time working on the track, but to each their own! Oh, and I hate Kato #4 turnouts; they should have worked right out of the box, so if you wind up with headaches from those, it's not just you (another reason to use Tomix track sometimes!).

81 - 85 of 85 Posts