Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy 4th to all of those people celebrating it! I have a question concerning DC and DCC. I have this Kato Amtrak 52 that we were told would run on DC. I'm pretty sure it has a DCC board in it though. It looks just like the one that would be in it. I know nothing about DCC and shy away from it. When I put this on my DC layout it runs super slow and doesn't even start to move until the throttle is way up. My question is could this be due to the DCC settings? If so, will I need someone who has a DCC setup to change the settings?

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Yes, a DCC decoder in a loco can cause the
unit to run slow or have poor performance.

DCC puts around 14 volts modified AC on the track at all times.
DCC decoders are designed for this current.
Many DCC decoders have a DC option but to
activate it you may have to visit a dealer or
modeler with a DCC layout.

If the loco was sold new with DCC there should
be words that say, in effect, DCC on board or
DCC equipped.

And, by the way, DCC is much easier to
install and to run than DC. You might
look into it. DCC requires only a pair
of wires to the track and does away
with complex panel switches and a maze
of wire. If you can operate a TV remote you
can run several trains at one time on
a DCC layout, each individually controlled.

Don

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Happy 4th to all of those people celebrating it! I have a question concerning DC and DCC. I have this Kato Amtrak 52 that we were told would run on DC. I'm pretty sure it has a DCC board in it though. It looks just like the one that would be in it. I know nothing about DCC and shy away from it. When I put this on my DC layout it runs super slow and doesn't even start to move until the throttle is way up. My question is could this be due to the DCC settings? If so, will I need someone who has a DCC setup to change the settings?
What you describe is a common symptom of trying to run a DCC-equipped loco on DC powered track it may be improved by changing the factory settings, but as you guessed, you will need to find a DCC layout to change these.

Your biggest issue, though, is in shying away from DCC. It is only slightly more expensive (especially if you're going to purchase DCC equipped locos anyway, and as Don said, it is actually easier to set up and operate, especially on more complicated layouts or running multiple trains simultaneously. You really owe it to yourself to release your fear and look into it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts