Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took all my Kato N scale trains, track, and accessories to an online auctioneer yesterday. I decided it was easier than trying to piece-meal it out for little return. I can get the same or better without any work on my part. I had envisioned a great N Scale layout, but, it never came to be.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Which scale are you moving to Bob?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have kept about 25% of my O Gauge items. I still have about a dozen locomotives, several sets of passenger cars and fifty or so freight cars. More than enough.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bob,
I have been modeling HO for some time. If I am not being to intrusive, I would like to ask a few questions; 1. What attracted you to start in N scale? 2. What lead to the decision to get out of N scale and go back to O gauge? I have thought about incorporating N scale into my work spaces in the basement to create railroad dioramas for friends and families to display in offices and homes. However, I am a little leery about about working with N scale as I am finding I need more light/magnification these days to work on my HO layout which I plan on sticking with for modeling and operating.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob,
I have been modeling HO for some time. If I am not being to intrusive, I would like to ask a few questions; 1. What attracted you to start in N scale?

I think I saw, and heard some N Scale trains in operation. Actually, to be more precise, it was what I didn't hear that attracted me. There was so little noise, like O Gauge, that become deafening when I have six or seven trains running. These little guys just made a nice little clickety-clack and a light humming of the motors. I wasn't looking into sound systems, or upgrades to fancy controls. I was happy with basic DC operation. All my O gauge trains run conventional only. I did some DCC in O Gauge for awhile, but wasn't too happy with it.

2. What lead to the decision to get out of N scale and go back to O gauge?

I bought a BUNCH of N Scale stuff. 90% was brand new Kato. Then it sat for two or more years, packed up in plastic containers, under my O Gauge layout. Age, and new medical problems made me realize that I would never, ever get to building my N scale layout. So, I decided to sell it. I started here, with a inquiry to see if there was any interest in buying. I got a few, actually very few responses, and I actually listed some passenger sets for sale. But there wasn't ANY response, so,I decided to take everything to a local online Auctioneer. I did this once before with some O Gauge stuff, and I got a check for $4500 after all the auctions were over. And, allI had to do was to take everything to him. He and his group took care of everything. I paid them 20% of the gross sales of my stuff (his standard fee) but I was happy. Had I tried to sell it myself, on eBay, I would have had to pay 15% to eBay and PayPal and do all the work of taking pictures, listing, and shipping and hoping that there wouldn't be any losses or bad feedback by disgruntled buyers. It was MUCH EASIER for me to just turn everything over to a professional. I never really gave up on O Gauge. My layout has remained the same for several years, and I'm pleased with it, and it's simplicity. I have four transformers (two Lionel ZW's and two MTH Z 4000's. Each train essentially has it's own power supply. I don't have any switches, crossovers, or changes in elevation. Very simple ovals with some Dept. 56 and Lemax buildings.

I have thought about incorporating N scale into my work spaces in the basement to create railroad dioramas for friends and families to display in offices and homes. However, I am a little leery about about working with N scale as I am finding I need more light/magnification these days to work on my HO layout which I plan on sticking with for modeling and operating.

Yes, N scale can be a challenge for those of us with failing eyesight, decreased manual dexterity, and the general malaise that comes with increased age. I had a somewhat interested buyer convince me to take apart an N scale F-3 diesel to inspect the chassis for some model numbers. Although reluctant, I did it. Well, it took me four hours of pure hell trying to re-assemble the front coupler after it fell apart whenI took the body off the frame. Yeah, N scale can, and will be tedious to work on. But, they do run smoothly, and virtually silently, if that is what you want.

I hope this answers your questions. I don't consider it personal. I try to help out whenever I can. I don't know as much about electronics or mechanics, but if I can give some meaningful insight into a question, I will. Good luck to you in your decision.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Bob, I never heard back from you on my question if you had any Canadian road names to sell.....but I guess it’s too late now.....

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry. I didn't have anything Canadian.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts