Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a 15 year old set of ConCor Milwaukee Road Hiawatha passenger cars. Unfortunately they have trucks with the old Rapido couplers. I would like to update them to Micro Trains. The only 4 wheel couplers I can find are item #1017. Would these work or are there others available? Thanks. Note that I had posted this earlier in another forum - sorry.

·
Registered
818 Posts
No problem, vic, I was pretty much holding off figuring you would get a better answer, but check the dimensions given on the MTL website and see if they are pretty close to yours. I'm guessing the 1017 will work fine. It may be worth getting one set to try. They come with several different push-in retaining pins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem, vic, I was pretty much holding off figuring you would get a better answer, but check the dimensions given on the MTL website and see if they are pretty close to yours. I'm guessing the 1017 will work fine. It may be worth getting one set to try. They come with several different push-in retaining pins.
Great - thanks for the information.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Hi - I have a 15 year old set of ConCor Milwaukee Road Hiawatha passenger cars. Unfortunately they have trucks with the old Rapido couplers. I would like to update them to Micro Trains. The only 4 wheel couplers I can find are item #1017. Would these work or are there others available? Thanks. Note that I had posted this earlier in another forum - sorry.
vicmiester;

If the Micro-Trains item # 1017 is a pair of four-wheel modern passenger car trucks with M-T couplers attached, then cid just saved the day! The plug-in adapters he mentioned include some for ConCor cars. I have what are probably the same ConCor cars in Great Northern "Empire Builder" colors. I'd love to see a photo of your Milwaukee Hiawatha cars since the Milwaukee is my favorite railroad.
Your other option would be to keep your ConCor trucks, with their nice metal wheels, and body-mount some Micro-Trains couplers onto the car frame. (I don't recommend this if you have curves under 12" radius however.)
Micro-Trains trucks come with plastic wheels. Very good quality, very free rolling, plastic wheels, but plastic, not metal. Micro-Trains, Fox Valley Models, Intermountain, & others do sell aftermarket metal wheelsets to fit Micro-Trains trucks though.

The file below has lots of info on couplers, body-mounted vs. truck-mounted, etc.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts