Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently just noticed the price of N scale over the last decade, like everything, has gone up, but….

Top car price in 2016, bottom car price in 2005…..

Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Publication

This is for the same car (different paint scheme)….

Font Gas Machine Rectangle Packaging and labeling

·
Registered
120 Posts
From my side it's worse! In 2005 that would have been ZAR96 and the latest one will be ZAR420... that doesn't include the postage increase or the taxes.

I saw a MT hopper in my flavor (UP) at my local pusher (one of 5 total pieces of N US rolling stock). Sticker price is also $27 something cents but my currency shows ZAR810! I just walked away. I'm all for open market business, but this is ridiculous. (n)

Luckily my my friend moved to Texas and started a Model Train business - I now have a foreign local pusher and he has a lovely open for us dweebs here in SA - Hold for Shipping. I buy monthly of not and add to my box. If it brims, I ship it...😁

·
Registered
355 Posts
I recently just noticed the price of N scale over the last decade, like everything, has gone up, but….

Top car price in 2016, bottom car price in 2005…..

View attachment 571573

This is for the same car (different paint scheme)….

View attachment 571574
I was into N-scale for quite a long time. But 2016 is about when I started putting the kibosh on buying new stuff. If it was pricey before, it really started getting pricey around that time frame, in my opinion.

I started seriously getting into O-gauge about then. One of the driving factors for me was that the secondary "O" market is loaded with a lot of good-to-excellent buys, definitely making O-gauge a lot more affordable for folks. I'm about ready to start selling off excess N-scale inventory, as I haven't hardly touched it in the past couple of years now. I would most likely keep some, but thinking right at the minute I could easily get rid of roughly 75% of my stuff and not miss it a bit. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
$15.95 in 2005 comes out to 21.53 in 2020 Dollars. Can't do 2021.
Still a pretty good sized increase. $6.37 on a $27.90 purchase, about 30%

Magic
But what does the 2005 price equate to in 2016 dollars (the year the last one came out)…..?

$15.95 in 2005 dollars works out to $19.60 in 2016 dollars…..but MTL raised it in 2016 to $27.90,for a different of $8.30….for a 57% increase…..

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think 2021 will be interesting with pricing. News articles are hinting at big increases (in everything), and of course container shipping rates will be passed onto us as well. I’m glad that I have everything I need, and only have a couple of items I’d like to get in the future…..

·
Registered
88 Posts
I looked at ebay Kato locos for the first time in about five years. Asking buy it now prices were pretty high. I'll have to do more research on sold prices. I haven't run my N scale for years, so I was thinking of selling and trying to consider realistic pricing. I don't think I could in good conscience ask the prices I have seen. I did sell a near new Kato PA1 PB1 SP Daylight set for $110, and it sold the same day. I am not sure what to think of this market.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I looked at ebay Kato locos for the first time in about five years. Asking buy it now prices were pretty high. I'll have to do more research on sold prices. I haven't run my N scale for years, so I was thinking of selling and trying to consider realistic pricing. I don't think I could in good conscience ask the prices I have seen. I did sell a near new Kato PA1 PB1 SP Daylight set for $110, and it sold the same day. I am not sure what to think of this market.
Ask hi, sell for as much as you can.

What the heck - conscience be danged. If you can get it, what the heck!

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Never feel guilty for selling something at the price the seller agrees to pay. I start all my stuff at 99 cents, and I'm just blown away at the final price of about half of it, the rest goes for expected prices. They want it, they get it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts