Model Train Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modeled and painted the Napa Valley Wine Train and does anyone know their paint colors? I would like to model their newer dome car but I have no idea how to match the colors (especially the champagne gold).

Microscale has the car decals

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Well, you may get lucky and get an answer, but looking at photos I'd say it's long odds against getting an exact color match off the shelf. You might get a "close enough", though.

Otherwise, you're going to be mixing colors, and this really is a trial and error process. Get a piece of styrene sheet, and using a Sharpie, draw a grid on it. Number each block. Take your base color (bronze, most likely) and add some light red -- a very low ratio of red to bronze. Mix it in a sealable container. Keep careful track of your mixture (use a pipette or dropper bottle to control the amounts). When it looks right to your eye, paint a swatch in the first numbered box and record the exact mix you used. Most paints lighten somewhat as they dry. If you still like the color when it's dry, you're done. Otherwise, keep adjusting the bulk color and painting swatches until you're satisfied with the results. Keeping careful track of colors and ratios is key to success.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts