Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering switching from a HO layout to a Narrow Gauge layout and was wondering what scale would individuals recommend and why. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
You don't have to change scales to change gauges. I recommend staying with HO and either add a narrow gauge line, or build from scratch. You can still use your HO structures and scenery.

I model in HO and HOm. HOm is meter gauge used in the Alps of Switzerland. HOe is narrow gauge used in Germany and Austria.

·
Registered
106 Posts
HO scale probably offer the most equipment available. Probably followed by On30. After that On30? And then G scale like 1:20.3.

If you want something unusual I model 35n2: 1/35 scale, narrow gauge, two foot. In 1/35 scale HO gauge track comes out to two feet. So I use both HO and On30 mechanisms for locos and trucks for rolling stock. It means scratch building just about everything, and handlaying track. There are 1/35 scale military figures that can be modified to civilians. My locos are also BPRC: battery-powered remote control.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
It's unfortunate that there are not more narrow gauge modelers. Some of the equipment offered commercially is very finely detailed and runs extremely well. It ain't cheap, but I get a lot of satisfaction from watching it run.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It seems, at least to me, that modeling narrow gauge has been growing over the years regardless of the scale. With narrow gauge you don't need a large amount of equipment to have a functioning railroad. Many narrow gauge lines were built for a specific purpose such as hauling ore or logs. And you have the quaintness and quirky of narrow gauge locos and rolling stock.

If you get away from the D&RGW/RGS or SR&RL one can build an interesting narrow gauge line with a handful of switches and rolling stock.

I model a fictitious two foot gauge line located in the southwest. Scenery is pretty basic needing mostly just sand and rocks. Structures are also minimal.

Check these out:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts