Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a Narrow Gauge discussion group that has described Narrow Gauge Tie sizes, as the following:

Tie length from 5 feet 11 inches to 7 feet long.

Tie width from 6 to 10 inches.

Tie depth from 6 to 8 inches.

Of course this does not describe ties used in special instances (Turn-outs and other special trackwork).

Does your information agree with the above?.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may not have been as specific as some people might feel I need to be, about what I'm asking above. I am only interested in 3 foot Narrow Gauge and Narrow Gauges used here in the United States. For some reason, I seem to get taken to task for not being specific enough

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
If you get taken to task for not being specific enough, that's a pretty good sign that you're not. Sure YOU know what you mean, but the rest of us are starting from ground zero, and only have your written word to summarize your issue. Err on the side of being too descriptive, rather than too brief.

But to answer your question: every real railroad does things a little bit differently. Those measurements are within the specs for standard gauge track. While I have never measured tie length on narrow gauge, I would think they would be a little shorter, but don't know for sure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please disregard this thread, I have found all the information I need at the Mt. Albert website! Forgive my inability to completely cover all the bases when asking questions!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Cole226 posted this pic in O-Scale. Don't know if this is narrow gauge, but the ties on this spur came out of the "assorted lengths" bag 😅

And the ballast is a bit of a modeling challenge...

Cid

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
I may not have been as specific as some people might feel I need to be, about what I'm asking above. I am only interested in 3 foot Narrow Gauge and Narrow Gauges used here in the United States. For some reason, I seem to get taken to task for not being specific enough
Try as I may, I can't see where anyone has taken you to task for not being specific enough in this thread.....?

You seemed to present your question well enough in my eyes.....but I never answered because I have no knowledge of the topic.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Old_Hobo, I'm a member of a couple Model Railroading Forums. I asked this exact same question at one of the other forums and was informed my post lacked context, so, that is what I was talking about.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Just for the halibut, I thought I heard that the ties were same dimensions as mainline ties because the narrow gauge was installed with the intention of turning it into standard gauge, or from 2.5' to 3.5' gauge, later on..Or else, why do the ties under most narrow gauge rails stick out so far from the rails ? But I realise I maybe very wrong about all this. 🛤🌄🛤🌵

·
Registered
785 Posts
Cole226 posted this pic in O-Scale. Don't know if this is narrow gauge, but the ties on this spur came out of the "assorted lengths" bag 😅

And the ballast is a bit of a modeling challenge...

Cid
Looks like a switchback / train will clear the switch then back down diverging track on right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts