Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Thanks for posting.(y)
With the lady standing next to the locomotive, it sure gives you an ideal how large it was.
Must have been something else to see them rolling down the rail back in their time..
I like the old vehicles too.(y)
What did they charge for walking around?
Does not look like you had too many people in your way.

Reactions: Stumpy

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Great photos! Thanks for posting Stumpy.

Reactions: Stumpy

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
Never mind about the price of admission I looked at their website.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the lady standing next to the locomotive, it sure gives you an ideal how large it was.
Must have been something else to see them rolling down the rail back in their time..
Yep. The 611 is a beast. 70" drivers.

We were on hand in 2015 when they fired 'er up after the 2nd restoration. Being mere feet from that thing belching and snorting and hissing... man... goosebumps.

·
Registered
188 Posts
About a 2 hour drive from Holly Springs just outside Raleigh, according to Mapquest. Cool. I'd like to visit this museum one day while I'm in NC visiting my daughter and my grandson. Might make a nice day trip.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make sure you check the hours before you go as they do change from time to time.

I recommend Saturday or Sunday. There will be more people, but they should be doing the train rides which will give you the opportunity to see one or more of the restored locos on the move.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went by today because they were doing At The Throttle with the 611.

They had all of the horses out of the barn, moving around, switching and generally playing train in 1:1 scale.

NC Trans Museum 5/1/21

1 - 15 of 15 Posts