Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Try not to put too much pressure on the speed wheel.
We tend to do this in a panic situation by spinning the wheel hard and fast to zero instead of hitting the red panic button (I guess because we don't want to see the train stop so unrealistically abrupt. (Well, that had been my foolishness, anyway)..
What eventually can occur is the axle breaking, rendering wheel defunct and having to use the speed buttons until obtaining a new wheel (NCE sent me one free [7ish yrs ago])...
But don't worry, it doesn't happen immediately, if at all...Just be gentle with it...

Happy new decapod ! M

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
The encoder that wheel is attached to isn't worth a crap. That"s the only beef I have with the Powercab. They should have used a better quality encoder for a control that is so often used and is critical to smooth operation. My wheel axle is intact and spins just fine, it's the crappy component that has failed.

I don't even use it any more. I use the speed buttons.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The encoder that wheel is attached to isn't worth a crap. That"s the only beef I have with the Powercab. They should have used a better quality encoder for a control that is so often used and is critical to smooth operation. My wheel axle is intact and spins just fine, it's the crappy component that has failed.

I don't even use it any more. I use the speed buttons.
Yeah. So I guess it's not the physical axle, but the encoder which goes. But then how come the buttons still work ? Do they have a parallel encoder ?

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Two different types of encoders. And like you said, they are likely wired in parallel. Could be a separate leg of the circuit, but I don't have the schematic to know fr sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts