Model Train Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a AHM 4-6-6-4 Challenger with the Delaware & Hudson road name. Looking to get a rough idea on how old it is and what motor it could be running.

I know that these models were made in Italy by Rivarossi for AHM from the late 70s - 90s with a few changes in motors throughout the years. Hopefully the box can help date it.

Love this model, still have to figure out how to carefully take it apart to do some cleaning and will have it running soon!

Thanks in advance,

Tom
0425C09F-C1E5-4891-B508-AE317C9D584D.jpeg
CD43ACD5-6C9D-4A11-A3AA-F241C6D5346D.jpeg
939491F5-CD0D-4999-972E-03DFA6518F44.jpeg

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The box certainly "looks older", but it might have been "handled rough".

What size are the wheel flanges?
Are they the large "pizza cutter" size?
Or... more in line with other HO equipment?

Large flanges would indicate an older version. I believe that at some point, Rivarossi got their wheel flange sizes "trimmed down" somewhat...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me J.Albert, I actually have a picture of them when trying to take a picture of the manufacture stamp under the cab. They appear to be relatively large. Please see attached.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Yes, those are huge by today's standards. It is an older model, maybe from the early '80's or earlier.

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
Another hint may be if that box has, or does not have, a bar code printed on it....the first bar code appeared on packs of chewing gum in 1974, but obviously, they did not appear widespread for some time after that.....

So, if there’s no bar code, it could be before 1974, but that’s not an absolute date.....just something to consider....

·
Registered
54 Posts
It was manufactured in 1977. Go to this link and click on American locomotives.
It will work well on code 100 unless your one of those RIVET COUNTERS who have to be perfect. I watched countless Union Pacific Challengers Big Boys and other steam pass by from my fathers farm which is below the tracks in my avatar. Since Rivarossi was the only affordable HO source of them when I started buying 50 years ago I am not in love with that PERFECT code 83 and smaller track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was manufactured in 1977. Go to this link and click on American locomotives.
It will work well on code 100 unless your one of those RIVET COUNTERS who have to be perfect. I watched countless Union Pacific Challengers Big Boys and other steam pass by from my fathers farm which is below the tracks in my avatar. Since Rivarossi was the only affordable HO source of them when I started buying 50 years ago I am not in love with that PERFECT code 83 and smaller track.
Thanks for doing some research! I’ll run it on anything as long as it runs. The test layout my family has is code 83 with 22” radius turns and it has been handling them with ease. However, one day I plan on building a layout dedicated to D&H power and rolling stock with more forgiving turns.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
OP:

If it's running on your code 83 track without problems, just enjoy it...!
How does it handle code 83 switches...?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP:

If it's running on your code 83 track without problems, just enjoy it...!
How does it handle code 83 switches...?
It runs relatively smooth at higher speeds and through the shallow turnouts on the test track. At lower speeds I thought there were slight gnawing noises but I do think it’s due to the larger flanges tapping on the plastic ties of the code 83 track. Also could be due to its age. Still need to take it apart to remove / clean / oil all the drivetrain components.
Have yet to pull any freight with it until I take a look inside.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All, finally put together a video on YouTube of this locomotive running and very happy with it. Thanks for all the help again.

Enjoy and happy holidays!
Tom

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Tom_G93, WOW she isn't a "Growler" for her age and great video by the way!! Looks immaculate in terms of Shell and chassis!! good going 1977 $129...lot of money back then!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts