Welcome to the forum Kaley

I would guess the paint is not original. Restorable though

Nice find:thumbsup:

Cheers, Ian

·
16,666 Posts
Your getting good TJ.:D
Big Ed,

I will humbly accept the compliment, though if I know anything, it's only that I have much more to learn. And if I happen to nail a little factoid now and then, it's only because a tiny bit of all of the incredibly helpful info offered by you and others here at the forum just happend to stick in my head for a fleeting moment! :)

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
Big Ed,

I will humbly accept the compliment, though if I know anything, it's only that I have much more to learn. And if I happen to nail a little factoid now and then, it's only because a tiny bit of all of the incredibly helpful info offered by you and others here at the forum just happend to stick in my head for a fleeting moment! :)

TJ
But soon you will be even better then Reckers.:laugh:
(All he knows about is S scale:D)
And the ponies.:rolleyes::thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
That be a prewar Marx Commodore Vanderbilt New York Central first introduced around 1936. Got one in front of me as we speak. Strip off that gosh awfull orange and paint it simi gloss black. Best I can tell only thing your are missing is the head light bezel ring. Should not be hard to find check Robert Grossman Co.

Jack Adams

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
The 'stack' is open. Is my memory correct that there was a
possibly flint spark generator beneath it? When it ran you
would see sparks coming out of the 'stack'.

Don

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Yeah, we basically resurrected a 5 year old thread. Not much new to say here.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
I had one, too, which I repainted. You really need to strip the paint on this: the orange peel pateinia (at least it is the right color for that) is very unoriginal: these things had very smooth, thin paint. I imagine you most take it down to pare metal, then prime and repaint. Semi-gloss black will be both truest to the original and look best, I think.

Automotive spray cans, as found in auto stores to touch up cars, goes on a bit "smoother and thinner" than hardware store paint, and was what I use anytime I'm trying to repaint tinplate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts