Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad in the 70's saw an ad in the back of a magazine for a DM&IR brass 2-8-8-4 and bought one. And that's it. Short of the box it came in, I have no documentation. From what I can tell there's no identifying markers or plates to tell me who the manufacturer is. Can someone help me out and tell me what I need to do to find out who made this? Or does someone know who made it? Thank you for all your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Beautiful loco but it would help to know
for certain what gauge it is. Also, is it
brass or plastic? Hard to
tell from the pics.

Don

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have an Akane, but that marks it into the 60's, 1970's, quick webcheck would make it Tenshodo thru Pacific Fast Mail. I have some old mags,may check sometime soon for it.
Akane's box is gold, yours is red.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful loco but it would help to know
for certain what gauge it is. Also, is it
brass or plastic? Hard to
tell from the pics.

Don

Don,
It's HO, and it's brass. And I asked specifically when he ordered it and he says !983-1984, so I was in the wrong decade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an Akane, but that marks it into the 60's, 1970's, quick webcheck would make it Tenshodo thru Pacific Fast Mail. I have some old mags,may check sometime soon for it.
Akane's box is gold, yours is red.
I'd been told at train shows that the box is a pretty good identifying factor, but when I tell someone it's maroon they glaze over bewildered.

It really sucks there's no identifying markers or model plates on this thing. It's gorgeous and runs pretty well. Could use a couple spring replacements but I'm afraid to drop anything into it if it's collectable.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Akane had a decent range of articulated models. Here's my list: C&O Allegheny 2-6-6-6, DM&IR 2-8-8-4, B&O EM-1 2-8-8-4 (reputed to have a skinny boiler), Southern Pacific Cab-Forward AC-8/12, Souther Pacific AC-9 2-8-8-4, USRA 2-6-6-2, and the Little River 2-4-4-2. They produced a bunch of others as well, among them the B&O Q-4, USRA light and heavy 2-8-2's, USRA 0-6-0 and 0-8-0, USRA light and heavy 2-10-2's, and, IIRC both light and heavy 4-8-2's. They also did a B&O P-7 in as-built form, and an old-time 2-8-0 which they called a Ma and Pa, but it does not match the prototype.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have back issues of MR in those dates, PFM was doing ads on the back pages, they were doing Tenshodo made engines so your best bet is Tenshodo. The owner of PFM was a fighter pilot and during off times he would beat back and forth between the US and Japan where Tenshodo was located and bring back brass. I didnt see the engine yet, I'll look at other issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's nothing on this locomotive. No plate, no stamp, nothing. I'm tempted to take off the housing. Anyone know if there's anything "under the hood"? If that's not a normal place to hide a marker, I may not bother.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whoever manf. it...it looks great. Have a club member who does DM&IR in O scale
Dave, I'd love if you'd loop him/her in. We've got a DM&IR O an HO layout running side by side. It'd be interesting to hear what they have and how they've handled their layouts.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Virtually all the brass models I've seen with any ID plate have them on the exterior. I'd venture 90% of them had the ID on the driver retainer plate. Secondary location was the tender floor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Virtually all the brass models I've seen with any ID plate have them on the exterior. I'd venture 90% of them had the ID on the driver retainer plate. Secondary location was the tender floor.
ebtnut,
I've looked. As far as I can tell there's no ID anywhere on either the tender or locomotive. My next option was to take off the shell hoping there were some identifying marks underneath. If you have a suggestion on where else to look I'm all ears. I'm surprised myself that this is as hard as it is to identify.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So a new development. After REALLY looking at it, it seems to me that there was a plate at one point in time, but that plate no longer exists. The only visible stamp on it is a "Japan" on one of the trucks. The mystery continues.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I don't see where the cover for that gear was ever attached via a screw. One thing is very clear...it needs a tear-down and determined/thorough cleaning. Looks like a quality product, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't see where the cover for that gear was ever attached via a screw. One thing is very clear...it needs a tear-down and determined/thorough cleaning. Looks like a quality product, though.
Which cover and gear do you speak of mesenteria? And oh definitely, but I think that may be outside of my skill range. For shits and giggles I rebuilt an 0-4-0 just to get my feet wet (don't laugh! it's actually an AMAZING little engine, pulls better than the 2-10-4 and 2-8-8-4) and it was incredibly complicated in regard to the pistons and rods. I'd really hate to try and clean this up only to break it or lose parts. Not to mention I have no idea where I'd get said parts if I did lose or broke something. I know it needs a couple of springs, but I'm scared to even touch those.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
First photo with the pinion gear showing.....I don't think it should be uncovered like that since it's so easy for a slightly static-charged locomotive passing over dust, lint, hairs, and ground foam bits to pick them up and wrap them all around the works inside. But, I don't see where one was every attached by two tiny screw holes on either side of the plate orifice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts