Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm sorry that I can't get pictures up, due to the wonderfully reliable camera I own.

This is a Lionel 2-4-0, engine number 246. I has a tender, but since I got this as a child, I can't remember if the two go together or if it was pure coincidence. It's all black with the details molded on. The body feels like plastic, with metal undercarriage. There's no smoke unit(you can see through the funnel to the other side) and the powered wheels move freely. This is the only Lionel engine I own, so I have no comparisons for anything.

Thanks, and I'll try to get pictures up soon,
Antigan15

PS- The headlight is clear, as if it shone, but there's no light unit either. However, I've owned and abused this engine since early childhood so it's not too radical to think that I may have(God forgive my stupid self) ripped out or damaged the smoke and light unit.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
This the engine?

You must be missing a set of trucks. (wheels)

246a.jpg

The 246 was available with one of two non-whistling tenders. The slightly more common tender is the 1130T streamlined tender or the 244T slope-back tender.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't be sure of anything on this locomotive. But it looks like it is in fact a scout. It even has that switch on top, and a bar on the bottom where I suppose trailing trucks could have been attached to.

Just out of curiousity, how much is this worth? I know people like to collect post-war Lionels, and I have no real need for it on my (future) layout. In fact, for the past 10 years it's just been sitting on my shelf. The tender is, I believe, a slopeback.

Thanks for your help all,
Antigan15

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Antigan,

Re: value ... not much ... on ebay around $15 to $45, depending upon condition. Don't put it out to pasture just yet, though. The guys here (me included) would certainly be happy to help you track down whatever missing parts you might need to rebuild it for sentimental value ... often our most prized possesion!

TJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That certainly sounds better than letting it sit on a shelf.

I'm not sure what inner parts it's missing, but from the pictures, it's missing its trailing truck, and the hook on the back of the engine that held the tender in place. That's about it, so far as I can tell. I have no track to test it on, so that's about as far as we can go for now.

Thanks,
Antigan15

EDIT: Does this engine work like normal electric engines? For obvious reasons, my parents only ever bought me the cheapest HO sets for my use, with the exception of my prized Spectrum set. I believe my aunt gave me this engine, along with a crane car, and gondola. Alas, the crane car is far beyond repair, but I've salvaged the gondola. Anyways, I was wondering if this thing was battery-powered, which would explain the switch on top, or if it ran via transformer. Thanks.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
That certainly sounds better than letting it sit on a shelf.

I'm not sure what inner parts it's missing, but from the pictures, it's missing its trailing truck, and the hook on the back of the engine that held the tender in place. That's about it, so far as I can tell. I have no track to test it on, so that's about as far as we can go for now.

Thanks,
Antigan15

EDIT: Does this engine work like normal electric engines? For obvious reasons, my parents only ever bought me the cheapest HO sets for my use, with the exception of my prized Spectrum set. I believe my aunt gave me this engine, along with a crane car, and gondola. Alas, the crane car is far beyond repair, but I've salvaged the gondola. Anyways, I was wondering if this thing was battery-powered, which would explain the switch on top, or if it ran via transformer. Thanks.
It ran off a transformer DC. The switch is for the e unit which reverses the engine.
A link for you.

http://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_246_loco.htm

Though a "cheap" engine not really wanted by collectors.
I have a bunch of different scout engines and most of them run real good.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Antigan,

These links below are from old Lionel service manuals for this loco (and a few other near-clones). You can see the part numbers for the rear truck assembly (which includes the "draw bar" hook that attached to the tender). I'm pretty sure that this same truck assembly was used on several Lionel locos, so you have a very good chance of finding a replacement via ebay and/or many current Lionel parts dealers.

http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/cd/locos/loc233p1.pdf
http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/cd/locos/loc233p2.pdf
http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/cd/locos/loc233p3.pdf

Regards,

TJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts