Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I am planning on helping my dad build a n scale coffee table layout.

I need some guidance planning the installation of auto reverser's. I have gone back an forth on a few different configurations. I will post them in following post.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

In this option, I would install a single auto reverser for the section in RED.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This is the setup I am really thinking I should do. It will utilize 2 Auto Reverser's for the GREEN and RED sections.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the setup I am really thinking I should do. It will utilize 2 Auto Reverser's for the GREEN and RED sections.
I should clarify... 2 Auto Reverser's, one AR in each colored (RED/GREEN) section.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I can tell this is makin' me think real hard... I smell something burning.
The CROSSING is two isolated tracks... I think they need to be connected and tied to the AR.
And try using one reverser. It will flip the phase/polarity/waveform of the crossing tracks any time it senses a shorted gap.
That's my 0.02. Disclaimer I am not a DCC guru. I am a DC gurunt. And welcoming other opinions...
Edit: If you have a loco or consist longer than the crossing, it's a problem. Move the gaps closer to the turnouts. 😊

Are you running more than one train?

·
Registered
896 Posts
At first glance, I would choose your first option. It may still be the best of the two options, but perhaps not. If you want to run long lighted trains that are longer than the "X" section, then I would look more at option 2, but with some modifications. First, the "white" non reversing sections are not useful because they are too short. You should make the outside straight sections part of the red zone. The crossover can go to either the red or green zone. Then notice that you really only need 1 reverser on either the red or green zone. Double check my thinking, but I think that will work.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Given this is a small coffee table layout of 30in by 60in, we wont have much in the way of long trains. Based on your suggestion as well as others, here is new idea. As long as the entire train can fit between the turnouts in the red section.

Can anyone tell me how long a train we can fit in the red section? The corners are 11in radius corners. We have a E9 UP loco and plan on running a few flat cars holding John Deer tractors, followed by a caboose. I doubt we will run a ABA set unless the additional BA loco's are dummys. So how many Cars and a caboose can fit roughly?

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
John

Yes, you have the right idea...however, you would have a much longer
isolated section that could accomodate a longer train if you simply
'reverse' your plan...make the opposite loop your iso section with
insulated joiners in both rails of the straight and diverge of both of the
turnouts on the left end of your plan. Or, you could simply add
more straight sections to the right hand loop that you show in Red
taking them from the left loop thus keeping the same size layout.

You would power the isolated section with the output of your
reverse loop controller...it's input is your track bus.

The crossover would need no special consideration.

Don

·
Registered
688 Posts
About 55 inches in the red section. "Between the turnouts" 35 inches.
Yes, I think Don is right on. gaps at the ends of the red section, everything else is the green section. Crossing as is from the box.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don, can you draw out what you mean? I can send you the RailModeler file if you wish.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
John

No drawing needed. Just take 2 of your straight track sections from the top and
also from the bottom of your left (white) loop and put them into the top and bottom of your
right (red) loop. It maintains your layout scheme and size, just simply lengthens the 'red'
end and shortens the 'white' end. Thus making the 'red' isolated section
long enough for longer trains. The insulated joiners would continue to be
where the 'red' meets the 'white' sections in your drawing.

Don

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think he means to add a few more track sections to your red reverse section like this:

That gives you maximum train length.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don, Mark, CID
I was under the impression that it was good practice to give an extra length of track from the normal track such as the 2 curves right off the cross over going into the red section.

As a modification of Don and Mark's explanation....
As a reminder.... White is normal power off controller. Red is Auto Reverser section.

Or how about this....

·
Registered
896 Posts
I think at this point we’re splitting hairs. Any of these will work fine. You’re getting to a train length that will make it look like the engine is chasing its tail around the layout, which is something you probably don’t want. The last design I’d rule out since you can’t have a train so long that the engine and rear end of the train could overlap at the crossing. I still like my version in post #13 because it gives roughly equivalent max train lengths regardless of how the turnouts are thrown in the reversing section.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Which type of reverser are you planning for, relay type (AR-1, PM42, etc.) or solid state type (PSX-AR, ARM-2, etc.)?

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
John

I agree with the others, the top drawing is the best choice. The
lower one would be troublesome if you were running more than
one train.

Don

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am seeing those two plans as electrically identical.
I think that either side can be either main or reversing section, just depends where you put the feeds.
The crossing tracks go with one side or the other, doesn't really matter which. Am I misguided?
Wouldn't be the first time... 😂
Regardless of which side reverses, you can't run a train all the way thru either loop if its tail end interferes at the crossing. 🛑

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Yes, cid, you are right, either the 'white' or the 'red' could be the
'isolated' section fed by the reverse loop controller.

Don

1 - 20 of 30 Posts