Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search was not my friend here. :confused: I want to post video to the forum, but I am unable o do so using the “manage files” option as I do for uploading photos. Seems most members use You Tube and link the file or embed it in the message box. I don’t have a YT account, is it necessary to have an account to post videos here?

I use an iPad almost exclusively for forum work. I am able to upload photos directly from the iPad but not video that I shot using the iPad. Any help? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Ted, unfortunately... as far as I know, this site does NOT host videos. And in this day and age, that's a major short-coming. So you need to first post your video to a video hosting service like YouTube or Vimeo. :( Then include a link to the video here in an MTF post. It's more of a nuisance than anything. But on the other hand, using a video hosting service is nice to keep your videos organized and in a central location.

That's fine for finely edited videos. But every once in awhile, it's nice to just posts a quickie iPhone/iPad video to show off something new... perhaps not even 1 minute long with minimal or no editing. And that's when it would be convenient if MTF would provide that capability.

David

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David, thx for the help. I suspected as much. I’m no videographer, all my stuff is short takes; less than three minutes at 1080p to stay under a Mb limit. And, the editing I do is basic stuff using iMovie. It provides enough options for my needs. Not interested in spending more time just for hobby oriented movies. Quick fits my use just fine. Thx again for the info. You guys will just have to suffer the loss of all my great footage.

T

·
0 Posts
David, thx for the help. I suspected as much. I’m no videographer, all my stuff is short takes; less than three minutes at 1080p to stay under a Mb limit. And, the editing I do is basic stuff using iMovie. It provides enough options for my needs. Not interested in spending more time just for hobby oriented movies. Quick fits my use just fine. Thx again for the info. You guys will just have to suffer the loss of all my great footage.
Ted, You may be missing some of the benefits of YouTube. It is at a minimum, a source of FREE CLOUD STORAGE. Apple and Microsoft charges monthly fees for Cloud Storage and you have to worry about MB limits. YouTube allows unlimited storage for videos of any duration. The Youtube platform automatically encodes your video into a variety of sizes and formats that can be played on almost any device anywhere. You have the option to keep your videos "Private" but still share them by placing a link to them on this Forum. Since most videos on YouTube are Under 3 minutes, Yours wouldn't be out of place at all. If you do make your videos public and they are at least 30 seconds long and they are watched by a lot of people, YouTube will pay you 1 cent per view (on average). I find it easier and faster to export directly to YouTube, than to my own hard drive and again the storage space is FREE. Once You've uploaded your first video, it is very easy to do the next and the next.

Vimeo is nice but most of the videos there are highly edited "Finished work" by professionals and Prosumers.

Emile

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Thanks Emile, this is good information for everyone who has been reluctant (me) to begin posting videos.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, you have enlightened me Emile, as I really didn’t know anything about how YT works. And, I didn’t realize their memory space was free. I don’t use any cloud service currently. While I have a ton of videos in iPad memory, they are short as described so they don’t take up a lot of space; under 10Gb. FWIW, I don’t particularly like watching over 10’ videos, even my own. :) Short works best for me, 3-5’ max. Although I do watch many longer ones on You Tube from time to time. Thanks so much for the explanation, at some point I may consider an account. I agree uploading video anywhere is about the same at this point in time. I suppose there is a storage fee for MTF to begin hosting video, which may quickly get out of hand. Thx again. Ted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts