Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a box from my grandpa that claims to be a Bachmann Challenger. However, when I tried to look for it on the web for it's value, I find that the Bachmann Challenger is orange. I have this:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/350367224902582294/590236938510794765/IMG_20190617_124538520.jpg (I have the rest set up in another room)
Not what the official website lists. So I tried to do some detective work. Googling the set number (00621f) along with 'Bachmann trains' brings me nothing but the orange challenger. I've tried other searches, (bachmann trains canadian national, bachamnn trains challenger canadian national, etc) and turned up one picture of an eBay listing long since gone.
So I figured I'd ask the experts. Has anyone seen this before? Is it rare, or a simple knockoff?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Based on my search, it appears to be part of a series of Bachmann "Challenger" train sets and may be found at prices in the $40-100+ new. Used, less.

My guess is that Bachmann has offered different versions over time and the current Challnger set has a UP F unit rather than the CN painted F unit. Probably the reason the CN version isn't showing up is it was produced in the past and is largely sold-out, while the most recent version (UP) is more available.

Is it worth much? Probably not. The typical assumption that trains can be worth a lot of money is not true most of the time.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
You might do well to just keep it and use it for Christmas decoration. Throw some wrapped candies in the gondola, a nice red bow on the caboose and maybe some candy canes on the flat car and let it run in its circle of track under the tree or on a close by table top.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Bachmann is never going to be "rare". Until the last 10-15 years, Bachmann was fairly low quality, poorly detailed, department-store stuff. Bachmann was (and is) in the business of selling several different versions of the same locomotive just by swapping out the shell.

Rather than going by color, go by the railroad livery (CN, UP, etc). This may give you more success in finding a match.

Value? If everything is intact and working properly, $30 to $50 for the set. Rio Grande's comment is spot on: few if any "boxes of old train stuff" are worth much beyond their sentimental value.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts