Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have recently got a few extra cars that have these short metal twist couplers and need to move them to the rolling stock for the sets that I have that are missing them. How do I remove them from the truck? I am not sure if I should be bending any metal so the short metal coupler can be removed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just now saw this post. Yeah, on those flip couplers, the only way to remove them is to bend the metal tab that is holding the coupler. You can bend either one to remove it. Becareful not to lose the small spring when you remove it. The metal on those trucks is pretty stout, so bending them usually doesn't result in a break like it does on the body of the cars. It's easier to remove both axles while you're doing this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just now saw this post. Yeah, on those flip couplers, the only way to remove them is to bend the metal tab that is holding the coupler. You can bend either one to remove it. Becareful not to lose the small spring when you remove it. The metal on those trucks is pretty stout, so bending them usually doesn't result in a break like it does on the body of the cars. It's easier to remove both axles while you're doing this.
Ok thanks for responding.

Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
I believe the aft tab is what I have circled in blue. This is the one I bend to remove the coupler.

Reactions: T-Man

·
Yard Master & Research
10,842 Posts
Actually they are the pivot tabs that hold the couplers. The other side is more difficult since the flip coupler sticks out. The circled end is correct on the picture. Bend it back a little bit and the piece will come out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I haven't seen those short ones. Looks like you'll have to un-twist that front tab. Changing the truck would work too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts