Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,189 Posts
The receptacle plug suggests it has no ground wire, just like a floor lamp.
If there is a wide blade and narrower blade on the plug, the wide is neutral (white), the narrow is the line/load side (black). If you can check for continuity between the line/load blade(prong) and the center conductor you’ll figure out which is white & black.
No need for “live” wires when checking continuity. One probe on the narrow plug blade, put the other probe on the central conductor. If 0, try on the surrounding shield wires.

The outer most steel mesh is probably reinforcement and nothing more.

· Registered
2,189 Posts
So on the wall plug end, put the red probe on… well either blade. And red or black probe doesn't matter. The other probe on the center conductor.
When checking for continuity you’re looking for the meter closing a circuit, aka the probes seeing each other through that transformer. If 1 probe is on white and one is on black, you’ll get nothing. If both are on white OR in black, they should show continuity through the transformer. Knowing which blade is which will tell you which stripped wire is hot and which is neutral. Wide blade is always neutral/white.

· Registered
2,189 Posts
Another thing to consider is accidental actuation while working/operating. To resolve that some folks recess said toggles into a pvc cap, but a colored safety cap works too. Some safety caps are illuminated (extra $) but I’m not sure if they could be modified with bi-color LEDs to indicate which way the turnout position is. But that’d be kinda neat if it’s possible.
I was going to try it, but….
Vader voice I have altered the deal… pray I don’t alter it any further.

· Registered
2,189 Posts
I was going to say leaning yes although I’m not sure how. I had mine hooked up to a stationary decoder. Of the 6 solder tabs I think the center two were unused? I remember power came in on two of the 6, a jumper between 2 others. I think the center two could be utilized for either a powered frog polarity, or an LED/bulb, or both. But I’m not sure how to wire them for that as I used CTC routing so blade position was never a concern for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts