Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 681 off eBay recently and in description it mentioned that the paint had touch ups. When I received the engine I noticed the touch ups were done with a Black Sharpie permanent marker. So at a distance it looks ok but up close it is purple. And is not close to matching.

I attached a couple pics of the spots that look purple.

Is there anything I could do to touch it up better?

Attachments

·
Hobo for Life
5,953 Posts
It dosent look bad at all. Your just focusing on it. They say the purple will fade over time. If really bothered you could repaint the whole thing. I think it looks good enough as is.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
try a little oil on touchups and wipe off with a rag or paper towel. going over surrounding area. Try that and let us know.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I would mask off the numbers and then wipe off the marker with alcohol. Then touch up with paint. I use PJ1 Special Satin but I think many just use a Krylon satin found in most home stores. Spray some into the cap then use a small brush and try to fill the chips only.

Pete

·
Registered
273 Posts
Black...the new purple!

Yep, markers do that. That is why if it is no more than a dot to touch up, I paint. And, it looks like yours needs a good paint job.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Prediction: whatever "cure" you try, it will not be good enough.

Unless skillfully done, "touch-ups" rarely prove satisfactory.

If it's a keeper, a repaint is the better solution IMO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks for all the replies!

I will try the few options mentioned and then I was thinking of doing a repaint if I can’t get it to look what I want it to.

When I do get around to the repaint, what should I use to tape off the numbers? I would be afraid to use some tape too sticky to ruin the numbers? Do I cover like a box over the numbers or do I just cover the numbers?

I see in the posts some options for what paint to use. So that’s good and thanks!

I thought I read a while ago that some people use Pledge to give the logo a shine. Does that leave the loco sticky or oily?

·
16,661 Posts
I very, very light rub of oil with help diminish and reduce the purple look, while keeping the Sharpie touchups there, covering dings.

It sounds a bit too "up close and personal", but I will sometimes rub the oil off of my forehead (literally, dohh!!), and then gently rub that on top of Sharpie cover-ups. Amazingly, it does the trick!

TJ

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
LVR, The 681 had two different number stamping. The first issue was Rubber Stamped in Silver. The next issue was changed to a Heat Stamped Number in White. Your loco would be the later Type II, with white numbers. The touch ups you posted are definitely Sharpie “purple tone”. The majority of the Postwar Steam locos have a “Satin” finish. Taping over the numbers usually leaves the outline of the tape, from overspray of the paint, if using rattle can. I did it on 1 loco, and the result stuck out like a sore thumb.

You could spray the cab, including the number, and use dry transfer numbers from Wooland Scenics. The other option is using an airbrush, and just touching up the affected area. It’s a matter of what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For what it may be worth, over the years I've used a bottle of good old Testor's Flat Black with a fine tipped brush and dabbed all the small nicks and scratches. After the paint cures, rubbing the spots with a soft cloth will buff the paint to a satin finish, From a couple of feet away it will look practically new. If you want to put a little oil or Pledge over that, go for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for your suggestions!

Gives me a lot to think about.

I may try your technique TJ but it will have to wait as I’m just getting over the flu... 😉

But again thanks all. When I get some time to mess with it I’ll fill you guys in with what I tried.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most on this forum are quite skilled in the variious processes involved in this hobby, but for the novice I offer this advice.

Airbrush!

I'm new this forum but for many years have collected and ridden old bicycles. Most have been subject to a lot of use and have knicks and scratches.

Trick is to remove the marker (or rust in the case of bikes) if possible without damaging the surrounding paint. I'v had some success with rubbing alcohol for marker ink.

Next step is build up the missing paint area with primer (black in this case) I use a brush for this and lightly sand until smooth. It's ok if you "touch the surrounding area a bit as keeping the surface to be painted and the surrounds level.

Choose appropriate paint and spray. It takes a bit of practice to get the right psi and spray pattern so experiment of cardboard. Remember you can always add but it's a nasty job to fix runs so start out spraying light, very light coats at low pressure.

I use a 25 year old Badger gun I got for $5 at a yard sale complete with hose, and all accessories. I still see them often selling for a little of nothing.

Parkinson's has set in for me but just the other day I was able to clearcoat crumbling decals on a bike without any problems so don't be afraid to try.

The big advantage of an airbrush is that you can precisely control the amount of paint, pinpoint to the exact location, and use any color you want to paint. If the paint you want is already in a spray bomb, shoot some into a cup and pour it into the airbrush container.

If a shakey guy like me can do it, anyone can.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so far I have taken the advice of the isopropyl alcohol and so far it has worked great.

The person I got this from really loaded it with a sharpie and I’m not sure why as it really doesn’t seem to have needed it that bad. As I have removed a lot as the paper towel was just about black when I was done and I just started.

Once I go over with a Q-tip with some more alcohol then maybe I’ll try the oil trick but so far I’m pretty happy with the way it’s looking already!!!

Here’s another pic of the before and a couple after so far.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts