Model Train Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
16,666 Posts
'Doc, etc.

Sidebar (but somewhat related) question:

How big was the production run of the 289E's (with big O motor) in contrast to the 1689E's (with little motor)?

Just curious. I don't see too many 289's 'round the bend.

TJ

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
To the group, The 1688 & 1689 locos were made in both 1936-37, and were Lionel Cataloged Sets. The sales were easy to find from distributors (hobby shops & department stores). This alone would require a constant production, to keep up with sales. The Sets ranged from $7.95-$11.75 for price. By comparison the 289E was created as an “Incataloged Set”, and sold by a few Department Stores, very few at that. When you compare the two strategies, the demand for the 289E would be very low. The Lionel Guide to Prewar Sets doesn’t show the initial prices that the 3 sets were worth, to get the comparison of Cataloged vs. Uncatalogued.

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
TJ, I think I asked the same question quite a while ago. You have to consider a few facts, one of which is the really avid Prewar/Tinplate forum members is small, (you & I mainly). The other factor is the fact that the 289E was UNCATALOGUED which accounts for such low sale numbers, comparable to the 1689E. I too, would love see all the details that created the 289. I have asked about what specific motor Lionel used, with no definitive answer, (At MTF, OGR, & CTT Forums. They are so few & far between hose for sale, that the demanding price is too high for me to bid, just to have 289. We shall see, if someone can fill any details.

·
16,666 Posts
After I posted above, Jerry, I did find your older thread where you inquired about the motor i.d. / details for a 289E.

I've never held a 289E, so I, too, am curious as to how it all looked / fit.

You and I will stay on the hunt, I guess. I do see them, on occasion, on eBay, but I have never bitten. Someday, perhaps!

Cheers,

TJ

21 - 26 of 26 Posts