Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 15 and have decided to start an HO scale layout. Forgive me if i sound like an idiot but ill try to make sense...

I want my trains ot run smoothly. For example if you buy one from walmart, go home and set it up it runs extremely fast and it just looks unrealistic...kinda hard for me to explain. But anyway i want it to look realistic. If i understand correctly having one of those trainmaster remote transformers will help this? (maybe? yes? no? lol) and good track and a higher quality train? Also I want to be able to controll each train individually for example... you put 2 trains on a single track and hook up the transformer...they're both gonna go right? Well say i want to put one on a siding and make it stay put! How would i do that? I apologize if this is too long and makes no sense...just bare with me and if you have any advice let me know. Also whats DCC??? i see that everywhere!!!

Any help is much appreciated :D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hello im 13 and done trains since I was little I shold be able to help you.
DCC- Digital Comad Controll
I have one and I highly rcomend it but it costs almost $400
What kind of locomotive is it?
If it is bachman or lifelike its problaby just a bad loco.
I suggest going to a hobby store and buying an athearn locomotive which are much higher in quality and will run more of the way youwant it to.
If that does not work it is problably the power pack.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Ive messed with my 3 O guage since i was tiny but i have limited funds and limited space so i decided if i was going to have a layout it should be HO. And what i mean by the unrealistic running...most ive seen that my friends have go 0 to 60 in 0.1 and i dunno...it just dosent look realistic. http://youtube.com/watch?v=gdmu4zSwel8&feature=related like that...see how smoothly it runs? i want my trains to run that smooth. And have a smooth takeoff. Also how would i control individual trains like i said earlier?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You need smooth running, properly weighted locomotives for this. Slow speed operation must be good if you want it to be realistic. Wal-mart won't be any help there, that I can almost guarantee. What you should do is go to your local hobby shop and have them demo some trains for you and see what you like, and how much it costs :)

I wish I had a video camera, I would show you some of my Marklin locos that start running on the first speed step, and will go 1 millimeter every 2 seconds or slower.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! And ok...last question. About how much is a reasonable DCC transformer? and whats the average price range for good quality (not too high tho) but not cheap engines? I'd like to get a good idea about how much i'll be spending.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Good question, hopefully one of the DCC guys here can help. I use a form of DCC with my Marklin models but it's slightly different, called Marklin Motorola format.

Marklin digital engines start at around $200 and the Central Station to control them is about $700 if you bought it by itself. It's pretty pimp though as it has a touch screen to do all the controls :)

However, most DCC equipment is far cheaper than that, and I'm sure you can find bargains on DCC locos or do the conversion yourself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good question, hopefully one of the DCC guys here can help. I use a form of DCC with my Marklin models but it's slightly different, called Marklin Motorola format.

Marklin digital engines start at around $200 and the Central Station to control them is about $700 if you bought it by itself. It's pretty pimp though as it has a touch screen to do all the controls :)

However, most DCC equipment is far cheaper than that, and I'm sure you can find bargains on DCC locos or do the conversion yourself.

WHEW! lol...after reading the first few sentences my plan almost went up in a train wreck! lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So...i guess heres the big question. I am 15 as stated with low income. Im also having to save for other things like rebuilding my vehicle for next year collage etc...i know this is hard to judge without me giving me specific information but do you think i could get something small going? my dad is very talented in crafting things and im sure we can find cheap alternatives to scenery but as far as the trains go and what i want...will it take a millionare to get it? I dont really care if i only have 1 DCC train to start with...i'd be happy.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
It should not be terribly expensive, even for a 15 year old. Reminds me of my days back then, I remember that cash was not in the 'plenty', and progress on alot of my projects was very slow.

Buy stuff second hand from eBay, you will save a ton of money that way, as long as it's a reputable person and things are in working order. I suspect $200-300 will get you pretty far... Do some research and let us know what your findings are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
For a first train i was looking at something like this. But i know the price is low and i wanted to know why? Is this a cheap low quality train??? http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-SCALE-TRAINS...ryZ19132QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: and hows something like this for a DCC transformer? http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-N-SCALE-TRAI...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Edit again: then probably something like this at first to pull... http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-SCALE-MODEL-...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

And as for the track...i have no idea what to get or whats what or what does this or that...lol

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
That looks like good entry level equipment in your price range.. however you should consider a 'starter set' ? Sometimes, but not all times, you will get more value for your money as it includes the locomotive and some rolling stock, the control unit and some track to get started. But the stuff you posted up seems like a good deal. Get some freight cars as well. If you are getting passenger coaches, get some with the same road name - there are some silver Santa Fe coaches from the same seller that look really nice for $10 more.

There is some people on here who have DCC as well, maybe we can find there posts.. have you looked in the DCC section?

·
Registered
19 Posts
HOtrainz..
you should definately go with a starter set of bachmann or something at your local hobby shop. i just bought a dcc bachmann set that has two engines, two rolling stock, and one caboose with enough track to run a pretty good circle. i love it to start with. will be easy to add on to and build a scene around. i paid 180 for it. by the time you get finished buying each piece seperately you'll pay more than that.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
HOtrainz..
you should definately go with a starter set of bachmann or something at your local hobby shop. i just bought a dcc bachmann set that has two engines, two rolling stock, and one caboose with enough track to run a pretty good circle. i love it to start with. will be easy to add on to and build a scene around. i paid 180 for it. by the time you get finished buying each piece seperately you'll pay more than that.
This sounds like a great deal. Which set was it, any links?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts