Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in 2006, when I bought my NCE Power Pro, I sent in my registration in but never recieved any notifications about version upgrades. I am currently running Version 1.3 from a 2006 purchase.
This is the system I currently have. It is a 5 amp system.....

So far, it has been sitting for over 12 years in my basement, on a shelf under my layout. I always had a dehumidifier down there. I have 8 DCC equipped Locomotives and today was the first day in over 12 years that they "ALL" started, took commands from the Procab, and ran on the layout flawlessly. WooHoo!
Train Land vehicle Vehicle Rolling stock Track

It was like I turned it off yesterday.
A couple of months ago, in 2022, I bought a 4 pack of NCE decoders and am getting ready to install them on DC locomotives I have been collecting that are not DCC ready.
I am super curious if my current version (1.3) in my Power Pro will be able to communicate with the futuristic new decoders? I suppose the only way to tell is try it and see.
This all leads me to the query to find....
.... what is the latest 2022 version of this product going out to customers at the stores and on Amazon today?
I went to NCE's website but could not find the latest firmware version of this product.
Does anyone here know the current version?
I am also curious if it is just a eprom swap inside the controller?...I would guess it is.
Has anyone upgraded there DCC system after recieving a notification from NCE?

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
I can't specifically address your questions, not having any experience with NCE, but I have an MRC Prodigy Wireless that I bought in 2007 and hasn't been upgraded since. It has no issues running newer locos / decoders.

Reactions: SF Gal

·
Registered
621 Posts
SF Gal, with a bit of luck, you may have purchased a system that required no further upgrades. I also purchased a system around that time frame, albeit a year or two later. I don't believe any further upgrades were offered since then, but not 100% sure.

Whether or not your system could use an upgrade, it still should run any new decoder-equipped locos out there. That being said, the NCE system, even if the latest version, probably still has some minor quirks when running other brands of decoders. Hopefully not enough to cause total grief and heartburn, anyway. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I have Ye Olde Klunk, also known as the Super Empire Builder from Digitrax. I dunno when they introduced it, but it has to have been some time near 1998 or so....does anyone know? Anyway, mine was purchased in June of 2006, and I have not updated its firmware or made any alterations to it. It still spanks every new decoder, the latest just in April, a Genesis SD70 with a Soundtraxx Tsunami2. In March I got a BLI Santa Fe Mikado with their new P4 decoder. Runs like a top with my system.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My PowerCab is from the same timeframe. I didn’t know about firmware updates until it was mentioned here months ago. Never did it, and it works fine.
I’m not sure how one would do such an update anyway. In the PowerCab scenario the throttle is the “booster.” If it’s on, it’s kicking out 3A or whatever it is. That might pose a problem if you plugged it into a PC to “upgrade.” It has to be “on” to upgrade, so how would it be done? And it’s not an Ethernet cable either, so where would one plug into a PC anyway? There’s no onboard modem cards anymore.

I think they’re probably all one version, no? I mean when if someone buys just a throttle to add to their existing Pro Cab system, 12 years later? They gotta play well together. So I think they’re all v1.3 or whatever. I never put any thought into it because I’ve never had any issues.

Reactions: SF Gal

·
Registered
254 Posts
My PowerCab is from the same timeframe. I didn’t know about firmware updates until it was mentioned here months ago. Never did it, and it works fine.
I’m not sure how one would do such an update anyway. In the PowerCab scenario the throttle is the “booster.” If it’s on, it’s kicking out 3A or whatever it is. That might pose a problem if you plugged it into a PC to “upgrade.” It has to be “on” to upgrade, so how would it be done? And it’s not an Ethernet cable either, so where would one plug into a PC anyway? There’s no onboard modem cards anymore.

I think they’re probably all one version, no? I mean when if someone buys just a throttle to add to their existing Pro Cab system, 12 years later? They gotta play well together. So I think they’re all v1.3 or whatever. I never put any thought into it because I’ve never had any issues.

Actually there is a chip that you buy and swap out in the command station.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replys, sounds like I will be good to go. Especially if mesenteria is running 20th century DCC without a hitch. After I posted this I went back and opened up my unit to look inside.
I was pleasently surprised the inside looks pristine and no mold or mildew was inside.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

As you can see, my eprom chip is dated 2004.
I am glad I opened it as I probably should replace the CR2032 battery before it spews junk on my board.
I dug around the web site and finally found the latest Power Pro version eprom is dated 2007.
I understand the programming features changed and if you buy the upgrade chip, you may/should buy the updated manual with the same date in the lower right hand corner of the manual cover....sheeesh.
Circuit component Passive circuit component Green Electronic component Hardware programmer

So looking further into it, not including shipping.....
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

So in the end, and with all the comments I recieved here on the forum, it seems to me the best course of action is to just use what I have as I know it works. You all make it pretty clear to me that I should have NO PROBLEM with what I have. So I am installing my NEW decoders with confidence I will not have ANY issues.
I am gonna change out the battery with the power on as not to lose any settings and that is it!
In the end, if I do have decoder issues, I know I do have a alternate fix with a upgrade.
I'll finish up my future results on my layout thread, The Santa Fe Big "L"
Many thanks to all who commented, I feel much better about getting everything running again!
So Happy all my current DCC locomotives still work without a hitch! Now to clean them up and regrease.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
A couple of months ago, in 2022, I bought a 4 pack of NCE decoders and am getting ready to install them on DC locomotives I have been collecting that are not DCC ready.
I am super curious if my current version (1.3) in my Power Pro will be able to communicate with the futuristic new decoders? I suppose the only way to tell is try it and see.
DCC is a defined standard, so there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put a new battery today. The old one had to be 16+ years old.
Put a note on the inside and top of the outside case with a date the battery was installed....
......as a reminder to change the battery.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

1 - 13 of 13 Posts