Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else just look at their layout and think/dream of all the changes they'd like to do? I have my layout's plan is pretty much set but I'm constantly thinking of ways to change/alter it for the better to include more interesting things? I'm still in the planning stages and about the start laying track so I have that luxury and most of the things I think of are for the better and I'm able to do. I'm curious if this sensation/weakness/delusion (or whatever you'd like to call it :ROFLMAO:) will go away or at least diminish once I've gotten the track down or if I'll want to keep changing and improving the layout all the time or if it will be like this the rest of my time in the hobby? :p

·
Registered
182 Posts
Like anything in life, the more you do it, the better you get at it. I've been building this layout for years. There are early sections I used to like that I now hate because I know I could do better. So it will never be finished.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I stay pretty fluid and open to alterations on the fly. After building several layouts to exacting plans… I’ve had Murphy stop by for coffee too many times. These days my only track plan i.e. is a loose concept, tweaked as needed.
My yard is a big question mark though. I know what I want, I’m not sure it’ll fit, I’m not sure a pin-wheel ladder will bail me out, and I’m not sure which end to put the service facility on. So the area of the yard, on my mental plan, simply states “here there be dragons.” I plan to sort all of that out using thumb tacks/T pins and do operational testing with the track temporarily secured. Go through all the motions and see where operational problems exist, then modify as necessary.
I already ran into a fundamental oversight in my staging yard, almost losing a good chunk of storage tracks. I had to improvise a solution. Not what I had planned or preferred, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have half my foam down now and just debating whether I want an over under layout or keep everything on one level with the reversing loop. I look forward to getting my track down again.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I stay pretty fluid and open to alterations on the fly. After building several layouts to exacting plans… I’ve had Murphy stop by for coffee too many times. These days my only track plan i.e. is a loose concept, tweaked as needed.
My yard is a big question mark though. I know what I want, I’m not sure it’ll fit, I’m not sure a pin-wheel ladder will bail me out, and I’m not sure which end to put the service facility on. So the area of the yard, on my mental plan, simply states “here there be dragons.” I plan to sort all of that out using thumb tacks/T pins and do operational testing with the track temporarily secured. Go through all the motions and see where operational problems exist, then modify as necessary.
I already ran into a fundamental oversight in my staging yard, almost losing a good chunk of storage tracks. I had to improvise a solution. Not what I had planned or preferred, but it is what it is.
Hahahahahahaha here there be dragons!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
As far as my layout goes my original plan was to build a woodland scene which is now my service yard and that woodland scene is on the other side of the room. There is a mine added to my layout, a lumber yard, a transfer station to load trucks or box cars, a brewery and I’m thinking a grain elevator may happen as well at some point. The way I see it is yes there is things that are kind of done but others that need some tweaking. I’ve been at it for about 2 and a half years and mine isn’t even remotely close to being good to go

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Well, I'm acquiring materials to build my 4th layout since returning to the hobby, so I've pretty much decided what I want and what I don't. Do I spend hours daydreaming about what I want to do? No, definitely not. But I certainly notice things that could be improved, and eventually, those bubble up to the top of the to-do list, and I work on them.

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Attributed to Leonardo DaVinci.

Reactions: Jscullans

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think trying to do a complex 'layout', multiple loops, multiple levels, tons of switches all on a 4' x 8' is a killer. You just can start with something like this and hope to bring it to completion with is all running well and scenery completed. Not saying yours is, but beginners dream too big. I found starting with a simple point to point or something like the "Gum Stump and Snowshoe" is plenty to do for a beginner and gives them operation time too. Expand or redo gradually, this gives you time to figure out what you like, what you are capable of doing, and tempers the future with experience.

Since tracks on the floor I am on my 9th railroad. This will be my smallest one in physical size, 14" x 72", HO scale. With luck it will be expanded over time and eventually go around the room as a shelf railroad, point to point, about 80' in length. But my plan is not to expand until I complete my list of 'must haves' on the 14" x 72" section.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I think trying to do a complex 'layout', multiple loops, multiple levels, tons of switches all on a 4' x 8' is a killer. You just can start with something like this and hope to bring it to completion with is all running well and scenery completed. Not saying yours is, but beginners dream too big. I found starting with a simple point to point or something like the "Gum Stump and Snowshoe" is plenty to do for a beginner and gives them operation time too. Expand or redo gradually, this gives you time to figure out what you like, what you are capable of doing, and tempers the future with experience.

Since tracks on the floor I am on my 9th railroad. This will be my smallest one in physical size, 14" x 72", HO scale. With luck it will be expanded over time and eventually go around the room as a shelf railroad, point to point, about 80' in length. But my plan is not to expand until I complete my list of 'must haves' on the 14" x 72" section.
This is a very good point. It's always best to start with something manageable, and progress later to something more complicated as your skills improve. Whether you throw out the old one and rebuild, or simply expand the old, it's a much better way to proceed, and much less likely to result in someone leaving the hobby out of frustration.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.