Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my third engine yesterday. While I have been waiting for the Atlas Master Gold RS-1 and/or the Bowser RS-3, I decided to pick up the Athearn GP7 while they are available. I have come to realize that when you model a very specific era you got to jump on things while they are in stock...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Got my third engine yesterday. While I have been waiting for the Atlas Master Gold RS-1 and/or the Bowser RS-3, I decided to pick up the Athearn GP7 while they are available. I have come to realize that when you model a very specific era you got to jump on things while they are in stock...

https://youtu.be/lxWztMV5pVk

Very nice..what era and location are you doing?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice..what era and location are you doing?

I model transition era Pennsy - no specific location, I have a fictional switching railroad with a lot of industries. I only have three locomotives, but I am limiting myself to four axle switches and road switchers along with my H-10. I would love a PRR B6, but no good manufacturers seem interested in making small switching steam engines.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I model transition era Pennsy - no specific location, I have a fictional switching railroad with a lot of industries. I only have three locomotives, but I am limiting myself to four axle switches and road switchers along with my H-10. I would love a PRR B6, but no good manufacturers seem interested in making small switching steam engines.
Thanks for the reply...Son and I are doing layout just about done with benchwork..we live in Pennsylvania..going to try transition era as well with Bethlehem steel mill and some coal mine..kind of a mix of themes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply...Son and I are doing layout just about done with benchwork..we live in Pennsylvania..going to try transition era as well with Bethlehem steel mill and some coal mine..kind of a mix of themes.

So, my rule of thumb is any locomotive on my layout has to have been in production no later than 1955, which is just before the end of steam on the Pennsy.

Not sure if you have locomotives yet or not, but this is the list I came up with based on the PRRs actual locomotive roster (oldest to newest):

4-axle Road Switchers:

RS-1
DRS 4-4-10
H20-44
RS-2
GP7
RS-3
RS-12
H16-44
GP9

4-axle Yard Switchers:

SW
NW2
SW1
VO 660
VO 1000
S-1
S-2
DS 4-4-6
DS 4-4-10
H10-44
44 TON
DS 4-4-7.5
SW7
S-12
SW9
S-3
S-4
H12-44

The only steam engines the Pennsy used for switching (that they had large quantities of) is the B6 (0-6-0) and H10 (2-8-0).

·
Registered
128 Posts
So, my rule of thumb is any locomotive on my layout has to have been in production no later than 1955, which is just before the end of steam on the Pennsy.

Not sure if you have locomotives yet or not, but this is the list I came up with based on the PRRs actual locomotive roster (oldest to newest):

4-axle Road Switchers:

RS-1
DRS 4-4-10
H20-44
RS-2
GP7
RS-3
RS-12
H16-44
GP9

4-axle Yard Switchers:

SW
NW2
SW1
VO 660
VO 1000
S-1
S-2
DS 4-4-6
DS 4-4-10
H10-44
44 TON
DS 4-4-7.5
SW7
S-12
SW9
S-3
S-4
H12-44

The only steam engines the Pennsy used for switching (that they had large quantities of) is the B6 (0-6-0) and H10 (2-8-0).
Wow that is just what I was looking for! Was kinda doing some research on what kind of locomotives were in that time frame was hitting a bunch of Google searches but nothing like the list u have. Great info and thanks again!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Have you thought about possibly trying to track down a brass model of the b6? May be out there. I know they offer just about any loco you could ask for on about all class 1 roads of the time. Just a thought

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey I found that key imports brass makes the Pennsylvania b6 class locomotives I’ll do my best to attach a picture from my telephone to my post. It’s a pretty steep price for what it is but nothing beats brass for detail. Hopefully this helps you find one at some point. That’s off of eBay too if you haven’t already figured that out. This seller seems to be rather high on prices.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information on the B6! However, I am not sure if I will ever be at a point where I could stomach paying that much for a locomotive that would need painted, decaled and a sound system installed...

Hoping that BLI will decide to make one one day, but we will see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts