Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build my first layout and want it to be a haunted/spooky/halloween theme layout and would like to stay 4x8 in size. My question is what scale will provide me with the most opportunity to purchase the same scale ready made haunted/spooky buildings, accessories, etc.?

For this first one I would like to keep actual construction as ready made as possible and then later on perhaps build another with more custom pieces once I'm comfortable and have had more experience/research, thus availability of ready made same scale stuff is important to me.

If anyone has any recommendations on a good starter kit that would be great too. I really like the look of the old steam type locomotive (like the Bradford Exchange Horror Express...doesn't need to be a "halloween" train but something that fits a spooky town.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I'll leave to others any suggestions for haunted buildiings. But we are talkihg trains. A 4 X 8 size layout would be ideal for N scale.
It would have enuf room to provide a lot of operating. Four X eight is a tad small for HO. Your curve radius would limit you
to smaller locomotives and cars. Too,, you must consider your ability to see and handle small trains. What train operations did you have in mind?
A little more information as to your thinkihg would give us better opportunity to help.

Don

·
Registered
106 Posts
Both Lionel and MTH (O scale) make items for Halloween. HO scale would give you more operational interest on a 4 x 8. With N scale you could have a heck of a good time on a 4 x 8. What scale do you think you would be comfortable with? How's that eye sight? With my eye no way can I work in N scale. Even HO can be tough. Now I'm in to 1/35 scale (larger than O scale). What's next? Maybe G scale?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll leave to others any suggestions for haunted buildiings. But we are talkihg trains. A 4 X 8 size layout would be ideal for N scale.
It would have enuf room to provide a lot of operating. Four X eight is a tad small for HO. Your curve radius would limit you
to smaller locomotives and cars. Too,, you must consider your ability to see and handle small trains. What train operations did you have in mind?
A little more information as to your thinkihg would give us better opportunity to help.

Don
Yeah, saw some of the N scale, looked cool. Nothing too complicated as far as the operations, my first build so don't want anything too complicated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both Lionel and MTH (O scale) make items for Halloween. HO scale would give you more operational interest on a 4 x 8. With N scale you could have a heck of a good time on a 4 x 8. What scale do you think you would be comfortable with? How's that eye sight? With my eye no way can I work in N scale. Even HO can be tough. Now I'm in to 1/35 scale (larger than O scale). What's next? Maybe G scale?
Eye sight isn't too shabby, no readers yet but maybe in the near future (I'm 47), lol. I saw the O scale stuff, but seemed really big.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Don
Not really, I'm running a 6 axle diesel and 85' cars on 22" radius. Maybe there are locomotives that are worse, but F and E series seem fine as is the FP45. you'll be limited to the outer loop or two with the longer stuff, but it should work. The passenger cars c do fine on my 18" turns too (in reality it's a little closer to 19" I think). The auto rack doesn't like that loop, so it sticks to the outer loop. Leave the center for scenery, since that's the main visual interest here anyway.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Hobo for Life
6,107 Posts
Take a trip to a hobby store( i k ow easier siad then done nowadays) to atually see the size and decide whether or not you want to work in that scale. Smaller will yield more space to work with and cheaper building etc. But it is harder to do( at least for me). I did try to find some old posts for you to look at but the pictures are gone since they updated the fourm. Good luck!

·
Registered
789 Posts
IF your 4'x8' is not free standing (aisle way all around it), reaching across it to do things will be more than a nightmare on Elm street ! ....

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Looking to build my first layout and want it to be a haunted/spooky/halloween theme layout and would like to stay 4x8 in size. My question is what scale will provide me with the most opportunity to purchase the same scale ready made haunted/spooky buildings, accessories, etc.?

For this first one I would like to keep actual construction as ready made as possible and then later on perhaps build another with more custom pieces once I'm comfortable and have had more experience/research, thus availability of ready made same scale stuff is important to me.

If anyone has any recommendations on a good starter kit that would be great too. I really like the look of the old steam type locomotive (like the Bradford Exchange Horror Express...doesn't need to be a "halloween" train but something that fits a spooky town.

Thanks in advance!
DepWraith;

The only spooky item I know of made for model trains is a haunted mansion/dracula villa house kit. There is an N-scale version in the photos below though I did not attempt to make my model spooky. There are several versions of this model, some marketed as haunted or spooky. It is made in both HO-scale and N-scale. There have also been devices sold around halloween to simulate thunder and lightning. Most consist of a speaker with a recording of thunder-like sounds and a strobe light that flashes. These are not made to scale, or designed for model railroads. They are more in the line of household halloween decorations. However this sort of thing could be mounted below a train layout and the " lightning" flashes could be directed with a mirror to light up a closer-to-scale-size transparency of an actual lightning bolt positioned near the "haunted" house. There is also a Harry Potter "Hogwarts Express" train in HO and possibly N-scale? Not really spooky, but at least magic/supernatural in general theme. A German Company, Priesier, makes realistic figures in all model railroad scales. (see photo #3 for example.) Some of their sets include a wedding party with robed clergy. This could be converted into a burial scene in a graveyard with a little imagination

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take a trip to a hobby store( i k ow easier siad then done nowadays) to atually see the size and decide whether or not you want to work in that scale. Smaller will yield more space to work with and cheaper building etc. But it is harder to do( at least for me). I did try to find some old posts for you to look at but the pictures are gone since they updated the fourm. Good luck!
I've been to a few stores before and have a few sets around the house, just have never made a layout. Mostly looking to see if anyone knew which scale would be better for ready made spooky buildings/accessories?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts